75K, Dealer Wants To Change Rear Differential Fluid

bluerx04

2004 RX330 @75K

Took car in for service, dealer wants to change rear differential fluid.

Worth it? When does the auto transmission fluid need to get changed?

Anything else I need to get done?

Tell your (st,d)ealer to take a long stroll on a short boat dock.

There should be no requirement for rear diff'l("AWD") service for the life of the vehicle and the front and center diff'l run in the transaxle's ATF for lubrication

Prior to the adoption of DBW(***), with the advent of the RX330 model, the transaxle was under under extraordinary stress, ATF HEATING, due to a design flaw inadvertently incorporated into the initial RX300 transaxle. Those vehicles, RX300 models, REQUIRE inspection of the ATF condition each and every engine oil change period. My own experience, '01 "AWD" RX300, is that the ATF will begin smelling burned and be darkish in color after each 40,000 miles of ATF use.

I would suggest inspecting the ATF condition under the same above conditions but otherwise the ATF, as stated in my '01 owners manual, should be good for the life of the vehicle.

*** The DBW "fix" for the transaxle design flaw is the causative factor for the 1-2 second re-acceleration downshift delay/hesitation you probably encounter, randomly encounter. DBW is used to delay opening of the throttle plate in response to your gas pedal despression in instances wherein the transaxle has not yet completed the required "re-acceleration" downshift.

Thanks! A little too technical for me:) but I appreciate your answer!

2004 RX330 @75K

Took car in for service, dealer wants to change rear differential fluid.

Worth it? When does the auto transmission fluid need to get changed?

Anything else I need to get done?

Tell your (st,d)ealer to take a long stroll on a short boat dock.

There should be no requirement for rear diff'l("AWD") service for the life of the vehicle and the front and center diff'l run in the transaxle's ATF for lubrication

Prior to the adoption of DBW(***), with the advent of the RX330 model, the transaxle was under under extraordinary stress, ATF HEATING, due to a design flaw inadvertently incorporated into the initial RX300 transaxle. Those vehicles, RX300 models, REQUIRE inspection of the ATF condition each and every engine oil change period. My own experience, '01 "AWD" RX300, is that the ATF will begin smelling burned and be darkish in color after each 40,000 miles of ATF use.

I would suggest inspecting the ATF condition under the same above conditions but otherwise the ATF, as stated in my '01 owners manual, should be good for the life of the vehicle.

*** The DBW "fix" for the transaxle design flaw is the causative factor for the 1-2 second re-acceleration downshift delay/hesitation you probably encounter, randomly encounter. DBW is used to delay opening of the throttle plate in response to your gas pedal despression in instances wherein the transaxle has not yet completed the required "re-acceleration" downshift.

Go by the maintenance schedule in the maintenance booklet for your your 2004 RX330 which clearly states that the transmission fluid, differential fluid and transfer case oil should be changed at specific intervals and under specific conditions.

If you do not have a maintenance booklet, you can view the one for your 04 RX330 at https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/

I just now reviewed it and confirmed what I just told you.

Both 1990LS400 and jaswood are correct DEPENDING ON YOUR STYLE OF DRIVING. Look in your owner's manual/maintenance book for the specific interval.

If you fall under any of the "Special Operating Conditions" then you will need to change your fluids at specified times. If you don't, then it 'appear's to me from the manual that the fluid never has to be changed. Me personally, if it was my vehicle - I would follow the Special Operating Conditions for peace of mind.

Here is the maintenance guide..transfer case and diff fluid need to be changed as early as 12 months or 15000 miles if you fall under the "Special Operating Conditions" (what most manufacturers call 'severe service' - towing, high speed, muddy/dirty/salty roads/snowy roads, etc.)

2004lexu.pdf

Go by the maintenance schedule in the maintenance booklet for your your 2004 RX330 which clearly states that the transmission fluid, differential fluid and transfer case oil should be changed at specific intervals and under specific conditions.

If you do not have a maintenance booklet, you can view the one for your 04 RX330 at https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/

I just now reviewed it and confirmed what I just told you.

I'm a bit leery about the use of the information in the link you provided. Some of it seems to be in conflict with what I see in the 3 owners manuals that I have access to and clearly doesn't distinguish between ROUGH SERVICE and normal as does the owners manual. Another thing that caught my eye is the web site address, it does not identify as a Lexus site.

Oh my good lord. His link is from Lexus.com. The specific link to look up owner's manuals is https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/info/my-lexus/resources/owners-manual-search.do

Look it up yourself if you think it's a fake website at www.lexus.com then click on 'owner's resources' then 'my lexus' then 'manuals and resources'.

The .pdf I posted is from lexus.com I uploaded it here to lexusownersclub as an attachment to the post. It won't show up as coming from a Lexus site because it's now hosted here at this site. If you READ the manual I posted, it specifically states to check page 59 for the definition of 'Special Operating Conditions'. Lo and behold, on page 59 there is a definition of the Special Operating Conditions.

Unless the three owner's manuals you have access to are specifically for the 2004 RX330, then I would tend to believe what the online manual shows.

• 2 weeks later...

Where are you getting that link from? (http://statsie.com/xws.xtime.com) It doesn't appear anywhere else in this thread except your post.

The post that you quoted in your post (#6) shows this link https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/ which is most definitely the official Lexus site.

Yes, but if you follow through and look up the maintainance schedule for, in my case an '01 F/awd RX300, you end up at the non-Lexus site.

Where are you getting that link from? (http://statsie.com/xws.xtime.com) It doesn't appear anywhere else in this thread except your post.

The post that you quoted in your post (#6) shows this link https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/ which is most definitely the official Lexus site.

Yes, but if you follow through and look up the maintainance schedule for, in my case an '01 F/awd RX300, you end up at the non-Lexus site.

Wow. So you think the official Lexus site is redirecting you to some unauthorized site? Holy paranoia Batman.

• 4 years later...
On 1/18/2012 at 9:10 PM, lemon said:

Wow. So you think the official Lexus site is redirecting you to some unauthorized site? Holy paranoia Batman.

For real...dude...jaswood, why did you come on here if you don't like the advice people are taking OUT OF THEIR TIME to answer your stupid question?!?