Longevity Of 2000 Lx470? Mine Has 100k+ Miles.

catcole

We were thinking about selling our LX470 to buy something newer but used. When push came to shove, we really enjoy this car and want to keep it going strong for many, many more miles. Any thoughts on maintenance/problems for this aging LX470?

BTW, I will be taking my 2000 LX470 into the Toyota dealer to have the timing belt and water pump replaced in a couple days. I just passed the 100k mark a few months ago. The truck is still driving well but I'd hate to chance anything with the timing belt happening. The Toyota service dept. was about $300 less in the repair estimate than Lexus service. Total estimate with Toyota was $780. Other than this costly service, our LX has been pretty good over the years with regular maintenance, one ignition switch problem, and an O2 sensor replacement.

100,000 miles isn't all that much for a modern vehicle. You can probably keep your LX in good running order for about as long as you want if you don't skimp on maintenance and repairs.

Last time I checked, my first Lexus - a 1990 LS400 - is still being driven daily by its current owner and has over 275,000 miles on it. It was in like new condition when I sold it after 13 1/2 years and 183,000 miles -- and I live in the "rust belt" -- not in San Diego.

My 2000 LS400 is at nearly 113,000 miles and is aging even better than my 1990 LS400 did -- much better, in fact. I could see it lasting substantially longer than the 90 LS if it doesn't get crashed.

There is no reason to ditch your LX if you like it. As my CPA wife says, the longer you keep an asset past its depreciable life, the greater the financial payback.

100,000 miles isn't all that much for a modern vehicle. You can probably keep your LX in good running order for about as long as you want if you don't skimp on maintenance and repairs.

Last time I checked, my first Lexus - a 1990 LS400 - is still being driven daily by its current owner and has over 275,000 miles on it. It was in like new condition when I sold it after 13 1/2 years and 183,000 miles -- and I live in the "rust belt" -- not in San Diego.

My 2000 LS400 is at nearly 113,000 miles and is aging even better than my 1990 LS400 did -- much better, in fact. I could see it lasting substantially longer than the 90 LS if it doesn't get crashed.

There is no reason to ditch your LX if you like it. As my CPA wife says, the longer you keep an asset past its depreciable life, the greater the financial payback.

275k! Impressive mileage on the LS400's you have had. Very encouraging and I like what your CPA wife had to say. Thanks for your thoughts.

My 98 LX470 just hit 101k miles and is doing great. I too just did the 90k mile service 5k miles ago and I did the 90k service plus timing belt, throttle body service, thermostat, water pump, flushed and replaced all fluids. Even for transmission and coolant, suspension and such. If there was a fluid, it was changed. Paid 3k for the service but I want the truck to last in this Texas heat. Have had the truck since new. Only part replaced was starter at 70k miles, and a friend of mine did it for 50 bucks. Another issue that was a problem only if noises annoy you are the heat shields protecting the exhaust tend to crack and break apart internally causing a rattle. There are a few of them which are about $100 dollars each to replace. But the truck will still run fine but the noise I did not like to hear so the money spent was worth it to me. And last but not least is the hydraulic suspension. When the accumulators go out they are supposedly extremely expensive to fix and they estimate the life of the accumulators to be 10 years or 100k miles. But I'm over that mileage and years and mine is still smooth as butter. But when it does start to fail. I hear we are looking at big bucks. There are 4 accumulators; 1 at each wheel and supposedly cost $800 each excluding labor. But otherwise I think the engine and tranny are bulletproof. It's been a great truck and has never left me stranded. So an 11 year old truck and the only engine part replaced was the starter I’d say it's rock solid!! It's still a head turner......

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=53607

My 98 LX470 just hit 101k miles and is doing great. I too just did the 90k mile service 5k miles ago and I did the 90k service plus timing belt, throttle body service, thermostat, water pump, flushed and replaced all fluids. Even for transmission and coolant, suspension and such. If there was a fluid, it was changed. Paid 3k for the service but I want the truck to last in this Texas heat. Have had the truck since new. Only part replaced was starter at 70k miles, and a friend of mine did it for 50 bucks. Another issue that was a problem only if noises annoy you are the heat shields protecting the exhaust tend to crack and break apart internally causing a rattle. There are a few of them which are about $100 dollars each to replace. But the truck will still run fine but the noise I did not like to hear so the money spent was worth it to me. And last but not least is the hydraulic suspension. When the accumulators go out they are supposedly extremely expensive to fix and they estimate the life of the accumulators to be 10 years or 100k miles. But I'm over that mileage and years and mine is still smooth as butter. But when it does start to fail. I hear we are looking at big bucks. There are 4 accumulators; 1 at each wheel and supposedly cost $800 each excluding labor. But otherwise I think the engine and tranny are bulletproof. It's been a great truck and has never left me stranded. So an 11 year old truck and the only engine part replaced was the starter I’d say it's rock solid!! It's still a head turner......

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=53607

Thanks for the heads up on the hydraulic suspension/accumulators. So far, all is well there. Sounds like your LX is still going strong and that is great. Appreciate your input.

I'm having the same dilemma. My 2000 lx just hit 90k and has had a few minor problems. Recently changed the starter, had the "D" light go out when in gear on the dash, power door locks only work with key, cd player died, drivers side mirror wont adjust, and had the ignition problem. Mechanically she's still going strong...Love this vehichle!!! Has anyone had as many electrical problems as me?