2002 Is300 Cel Code P1120 And P1126

jvcm

Hi I own a 2002 IS300 with 152320 mi. running well. Yesterday, comming to my house the cars start with some erratic idle rev, lowes as 400 RPM. Near to my home cel comes with codes p1120 and p1126. (P1120 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction and P1126 Magnetic Clutch Circuit Malfunction). Just reset the computer and problem done.

My question is there is something that I have to watch to prevent this problem again?

• 1 month later...

Hi I own a 2002 IS300 with 152320 mi. running well. Yesterday, comming to my house the cars start with some erratic idle rev, lowes as 400 RPM. Near to my home cel comes with codes p1120 and p1126. (P1120 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction and P1126 Magnetic Clutch Circuit Malfunction). Just reset the computer and problem done.

My question is there is something that I have to watch to prevent this problem again?

Bump!!!

Bump!!!

Let me explain something.

The ECU isn't a warning device. It's a data collecting and event logging system. The cel light that came up on your dash is really telling you that the ECU has logged an event outside it's programmed parameters, X times in XX amount of time. So, by just resetting the ECU, it may just be a matter of time before the ECU logs in enouph of those events in a specific period of time to throw the cel again. So, I would just drive it as normal now. If the light comes back on, then I would take it in to a tech and have them look at it to make sure everything is ok. If you take it in now, they won't have any data to read about what is going on, as you just reset the ECU and erased it. If it doesn't come back, then it must not have been a problem in the first place right?

Bump!!!

The ECU isn't a warning device. It's a data collecting and event logging system. The cel light that came up on your dash is really telling you that the ECU has logged an event outside it's programmed parameters, X times in XX amount of time. So, by just resetting the ECU, it may just be a matter of time before the ECU logs in enouph of those events in a specific period of time to throw the cel again. So, I would just drive it as normal now. If the light comes back on, then I would take it in to a tech and have them look at it to make sure everything is ok. If you take it in now, they won't have any data to read about what is going on, as you just reset the ECU and erased it. If it doesn't come back, then it must not have been a problem in the first place right?

Thank you for your answer, I appreciate. My car doesn’t give me cel again so far. But there some erratic rev condition since code came. For example, running in heavy traffic idle rev down to 300 rpm and stated there few minutes then rev established normal again. It occurred with and without AC. Verified all throttle body connectors, cleaned the air filter.

Welcome for any suggestion to help with this.

Bump!!!

Thank you for your answer, I appreciate. My car doesn't give me cel again so far. But there some erratic rev condition since code came. For example, running in heavy traffic idle rev down to 300 rpm and stated there few minutes then rev established normal again. It occurred with and without AC. Verified all throttle body connectors, cleaned the air filter.

Welcome for any suggestion to help with this.

That would be a throttle position sensor. You may very well be having a sensor go out on you. If the sensor completely goes out, then whenever you come to a stop, the car will just die. Repeatedly. I would suggest having it fixed before that starts to happen.

Yup. But I would still take it in first to have them test the sensor and make sure it's the cause first. They can also take a look at that other code and make sure one isn't causing the other or vise versa. That's just my advice.

• 4 years later...

Code P1120 is code for malfunction of APPS (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor).

This pedal position sensor (APPS) have a dual output inverse of each
other, a redundancy for safety reasons.

Cost of sensor on line ($270, at Lexus $400)

Be aware, there are two sensors on throttle body.

First one (closer to front of vehicle) is for throttle servo motor (don’t
touch it!).

Second one (closer to firewall) with accelerator pedal cable attached to it
is one what causing the problem.

I replace several of those APPS sensors.

Because I'm specializing in automotive electronics troubleshooting, I took
all of them a part.

By doing so, I discovered on all of them common
problem, what fortunately is an easy fix.

Malfunction of that sensor is caused by improper cleaning of organic solder
residue during manufacturing of sensor.

This organic solder is very aggressive and after years of exposing this

solder to harsh environment, acid in that solder causing self-destruction of
solder what result of it is so called "cold

connection".

Manufacturer ignored (perhaps intentionally) basic rule about cleaning
contacts after soldering and

protect it against moisture by covering soldered area with some kind of

protective layer what is very common in automotive industry (shame on

Toyota).

SOLUTION:

Fix is very easy and can be done in less than hour include dismount and
mount of sensor.

To do so, just make small opening in to white plastic cover at location where
is connector (see my picture).

By creating opening, you will create access to soldering points.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Apply new solder to existing points and take it all out (use desoldering
tool or cupper mash to do so).

By doing this you will remove old solder and expose contact from connector.

Now you MUST clean those contacts by using very sharp knife and scrape old oxide
layer from those contacts.

To verify if you did good cleaning, you will see after scraping nice shiny
brace contacts. Second verification is, that when you apply new solder on those
contacts, it will perfectly cover it with solder. If you will see solder
creating small ball and not covering entire contact, you need repeat process
again till you get perfect join solder to contacts.

Next step is just nicely resolder all 4 contact to PC board with non-organic
solder (best is solder with Resin flux), but if you don't have solder with
Resin flux, you can use solder with organic flux (same as Toyota used) but you
will have to use warm water to clean soldering points to remove any organic
residue to prevent from same mistake as Toyota did in first place.

After drying up inside soldered area (use hair dryer) to prevent from
moisture entering in to this part, you must cover opening (in white plastic)
with good tape or any kind of non-conductive sealant (best is clear non-conductive
silicone).

If you use silicone to cover opening, be very careful do not overfill inside
opening, otherwise you will create restriction for potentiometer to freely
move.

After silicone dry up, you can install your APPS and enjoy it.

If you did good job, you will not have problem with this part for entire
life of that car.

If you have any question, you can e-mail me at: sekcov@yahoo.com

Peter

post-148615-0-33344300-1376617025_thumb.

• 5 months later...

I've been having the same problem on my IS300 2001 for a month now. I took it in and the code was P1120. Now I need some clarification Pete. The picture that you showed is not the same for the part numer that Bill Shaft posted. Which one is it?The one on this picture is located where the throller cable is. Is this correct? To take this apart it seem that will take about half hour (being in the back).