Maintenance Questions

I have a couple of maintenance questions about my 97 LS. First off I bought it last year from my parents and it now has about 122k miles on it. Beautiful car that is truly impressive.

1. Are Lexus fluids (ATM, brake, coolant) typically dark in color or should they be light? The reason that I'm asking is that I know the maintenance schedule has been followed and I took the car to the Toyota dealer for an oil change and they suggested the previous fluid changes. I don't mind doing the changes but don't want to get ripped off.

2. Is there any good product out there that will remove brake dust from the inner corners of the 10 spoke wheels? I have tried a toothbrush and simple green with minimal results.

3. What is a good polish for removing minor scratches/transfer?

4. I am also looking for a good after market air filter.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

I have a couple of maintenance questions about my 97 LS. First off I bought it last year from my parents and it now has about 122k miles on it. Beautiful car that is truly impressive.

1. Are Lexus fluids (ATM, brake, coolant) typically dark in color or should they be light? The reason that I'm asking is that I know the maintenance schedule has been followed and I took the car to the Toyota dealer for an oil change and they suggested the previous fluid changes. I don't mind doing the changes but don't want to get ripped off.

2. Is there any good product out there that will remove brake dust from the inner corners of the 10 spoke wheels? I have tried a toothbrush and simple green with minimal results.

3. What is a good polish for removing minor scratches/transfer?

4. I am also looking for a good after market air filter.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Toyota ATF is fairly dark red and if I remember right, there is no specific change interval unless you are following the severe duty schedule. By pulling the drain plug on the AT, you will lose approximately 2 qts of fluid. New gasket and fill 2 qts through dip stick (check level). Brake fluid is golden (I change every two years for me that is best but for sure 60K service). When brake fluid starts looking dark it is picking up water vapor and probably time to change as that isn't good for master cylinder or wheel cylinders. Toyota AF is red and cut 50/50 with water is fairly light red. Change at 60K intervals. When I buy a car I replace the rear end dope with Mobil1 or Red-Line synthetic 75W-90 and change every 60K thereafter.

Can't answer 2. I use a light scratch remover by Meguairs (sp?) ScratchX

I run K&N air filters in everything I own.

For the minor scratches on the exterior, use a slightly damp old sock (from water, not sweat) and Maquire's #1 Paint Cleaner. Work the scratch or ding and if the metal is not dented, you can usually remove about all of it. Finish by replenishing the wax.

As far as service, as much as I would like to, I just don't trust dealers to do the services people pay for. Having dealt with them a couple of times I found them to be expensive, smiling, idiots. You will feel better if you do it yourself since that way, it actually gets done.

Is there any good product out there that will remove brake dust from the inner corners of the 10 spoke wheels? I have tried a toothbrush and simple green with minimal results.

Try a good quality mag cleaner. Let it soak a bit in the corners, then wrap a cloth (cotton or cheesecloth) around your toothbrush. The bare toothbrush most likely has nylon bristles that you think are cleaning the wheel but are actually sliding off the buildup. You need the cloth for some tooth to grab the residue.

Is there any good product out there that will remove brake dust from the inner corners of the 10 spoke wheels? I have tried a toothbrush and simple green with minimal results.

Try a good quality mag cleaner. Let it soak a bit in the corners, then wrap a cloth (cotton or cheesecloth) around your toothbrush. The bare toothbrush most likely has nylon bristles that you think are cleaning the wheel but are actually sliding off the buildup. You need the cloth for some tooth to grab the residue.

Of course forgot the most obvious which is to clean your wheels often to prevent the dust buildup in the first place. Once it's caked on it becomes a pain to clean.

Thanks for your help with my questions. The fluids are dark but I know that the car has been maintained well and thought that the fluids may naturally be dark.

I have another question regarding the leather seats. Is there anything that can replenish leather that has become hard? The tops of the back seats and iside of the doors has become hard. No cracks but the texture feels different. Any thoughts?