Popping Sound When Turning?

jseng42

Bought a 2001 IS 300 from a very reputable used car company about 1 week ago.

Car is in great shape inside and outside. Only thing I noticed so far is when I am driving very slowly, like when I'm parking or pulling out of a parking space, and I have the wheel turned almost all the way right or left, there is a distinct "popping" sound that comes from somewhere near the front tires. It only "pops" once, and it's only under these conditions. I have read on some other Lexus forums that all of the IS300's do this perhaps? Any ideas on what that might be?

Also, I have never driven a car with Z rated tires before, should I just get used to really feeling the road and bumps in the road, and the tires just being a loud louder than my prior car (2003 Civic)?

Thanks!

sorry to break the truth to you, but the IS300 is one of the worst lexus cars made. I own one too, so i feel ya. lol. The "popping" sound is very very common, made into the car lol. Everyone gets it, and the problem is that its the floatin calipers. At first I thought it sounded like the suspension or like the springs, but no. lol its unfixable. The Z rated tires and the firm suspension make the ride comfort very low, you can feel every piece of gravel. Also, tire life is at 18K. lol. Oh, and the hollow sound you hear when driving the car makes it worse. Sounds like theres nothing between the road and you. Cant do anything about it. Watch out for the vibration that you get turn off the engine. :)

sorry to break the truth to you, but the IS300 is one of the worst lexus cars made. I own one too, so i feel ya. lol. The "popping" sound is very very common, made into the car lol. Everyone gets it, and the problem is that its the floatin calipers. At first I thought it sounded like the suspension or like the springs, but no. lol its unfixable. The Z rated tires and the firm suspension make the ride comfort very low, you can feel every piece of gravel. Also, tire life is at 18K. lol. Oh, and the hollow sound you hear when driving the car makes it worse. Sounds like theres nothing between the road and you. Cant do anything about it. Watch out for the vibration that you get turn off the engine. :)

Um, thanks I guess?

Worst Lexus car ever made...funny how it is always rated at the top of Consumer Reports and other automotive polls...

The noise is just the floating calipers. Not to worry. The Z rated tires make more noise due to more agressive tread pattern. They also make more noise as they wear down. I got 25,000 miles out my OE tires. Not bad for low profile performance tires. Also it's a good idea to grease the front sway bar bushings once in a while, maybe every 30,000 miles.

There is not one thing inherently wrong with the IS300. It's a great car. I drove my 2002 38,000 miles and only changed oil and filter pluse 30 K service. Never had a complaint or a minute's trouble out of it.

The only reason I traded was to get the new IS350 and the 306 HP V6.