Air Conditioner Problems

danpark

Hello Everyone,

I own a 2000 RX300 that is running great except I recently moved to a warmer climate and have noticed the A/C isn't pushing out cold air. I've recently recharged the system however again, its not very cold. Does anyone have an idea's on what needs to be fixed?

Are the A/C compressors in the Lexus product weak?

I'm heading on a 2000 mile road trip next month through the SW and would like to have a solution by then. Any advise will be helpful..

Regards,

Dan

Lexus Owner

2000 RX300

• 2 years later...

Hello Everyone,

I own a 2000 RX300 that is running great except I recently moved to a warmer climate and have noticed the A/C isn't pushing out cold air. I've recently recharged the system however again, its not very cold. Does anyone have an idea's on what needs to be fixed?

I'm heading on a 2000 mile road trip next month through the SW and would like to have a solution by then. Any advise will be helpful..

Regards,

Dan

Lexus Owner

2000 RX300

I am having the same problem with my 1999 RX300, any recommendation? I added 1 can of R134A, made no difference.

The usual culprit is a refrigerant leak in the hoses or couplings. Typically a moderate expense to repair.

The more costly cause would be a failing compressor. Let's hope that's not the case for either of you.

I wouldn't go to either Toyota or Lexus. I'd find a well-respected independent A/C repair shop. Your final tab will be less and your repair work quality will probably be better.

• 1 year later...

Nope...I moved to texas...the AC is just weak, plain and simple. I have brought mine in several times and asked them to fix it and they tell me the same thing every time. I live in Austin, and I can't ever get the car below 77 or 78 during the summer here. It sucks. My other car, a nissan, can get to 65 degrees in minutes on the hottest day of the year.

Hello Everyone,

Regards,

Dan

Lexus Owner

2000 RX300

You can check and change( if you haven't) the cabin a/c air filter and clean/service your a/c element.Dirty filter leads to dirty air and dirts on the a/c element thus reducing a/c efficiency.

Hello Everyone,

Regards,

Dan

Lexus Owner

2000 RX300

You can check and change( if you haven't) the cabin a/c air filter and clean/service your a/c element.Dirty filter leads to dirty air and dirts on the a/c element thus reducing a/c efficiency.

The simplest fix, to improve A/C performance dramatically and get better FE, is to go to Home Depot and purchase a water flow shutoff valve to put into the hot water hose to the heater core. Turn off the how water flow and your automatic climate control will still try to use the reheat/remix mode but no airflow heating will result.

Hello Everyone,

Regards,

Dan

Lexus Owner

2000 RX300

The simplest fix, to improve A/C performance dramatically and get better FE, is to go to Home Depot and purchase a water flow shutoff valve to put into the hot water hose to the heater core. Turn off the how water flow and your automatic climate control will still try to use the reheat/remix mode but no airflow heating will result.

I am curious if you have tried this and if it works well. My understanding has always been that the A/C is always pumping air cooled by the same amount and the temp is maintained by re-directing some of the max-cooled air through the heater core. And, of course, the blower speed is also varied. I thought at at max cool setting no max-cooled air is going through the heater core and as the temp reaches the desired point some of the air is re-directed thouugh the heater core which maintains your set temp.

Hello Everyone,

Regards,

Dan

Lexus Owner

2000 RX300

I am curious if you have tried this and if it works well. My understanding has always been that the A/C is always pumping air cooled by the same amount and the temp is maintained by re-directing some of the max-cooled air through the heater core. And, of course, the blower speed is also varied. I thought at at max cool setting no max-cooled air is going through the heater core and as the temp reaches the desired point some of the air is re-directed thouugh the heater core which maintains your set temp.

Yes, exact description.

But, Lexus is "about" .....comfort.

In any mode other than MAX COOLING, minimum temperature setpoint, the airflow will NEVER be cool, COLD, enough to discomfort you. This not only results in an exceedingly LONG passenger cabin atmosphere (and materials) cooldown period on a HOT day, it makes the A/C extremely inefficient overall.

And yes, I have tried it, sort of...

My 92 LS400 has a water flow control valve that is actuated in synchronization with the (reheat/remix) blend door.

I guess the LEXUS beancounters got control before the RX series came along.

Oh, and don't forget to take the system out of recirculate long enough to purge the HOTTER atmosphere within the cabin. Then return the system to recirculate.

Hello Everyone,

Regards,

Dan

Lexus Owner

2000 RX300

Yes, exact description.

In any mode other than MAX COOLING, minimum temperature setpoint, the airflow will NEVER be cool, COLD, enough to discomfort you. This not only results in an exceedingly LONG passenger cabin atmosphere (and materials) cooldown period on a HOT day, it makes the A/C extremely inefficient overall.

My 92 LS400 has a water flow control valve that is actuated in synchronization with the (reheat/remix) blend door.

Oh, and don't forget to take the system out of recirculate long enough to purge the HOTTER atmosphere within the cabin. Then return the system to recirculate.

So if the A/C is not able to cool the cabin when set to max cool then the valve will not help being that the air is already bypassing the heater core.

I would be interested in trying this but it seems like cabin temp would now go below the set point being that it can't re-route some of the air through the heater core to maintain set temp. The only regulation would be blower speed.

Dan, Did you recharge the A/C yourself? Too much freon will cause poor performance.

Hello Everyone,

Regards,

Dan

Lexus Owner

2000 RX300

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oops...!!

Even with the reheat/remix/blend door completely closed, as it certainly should be in "max cooling", you will still have some heating of the airflow due to radiant effects from the nearby, CLOSE BY, HOT, 200F, heater core. You can check for how much effect this is having by turning the compressor off and after 10 or 15 minutes turn the blower to low and check the temperature rise of the system airflow against the OAT.

By-the-by, the best cooling can be had with the lowest blower speed provided you are in recirculate mode. Air molecules spend more time in the "refrigerator", cooling evaporator, at the lowest blower speed.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yes, exact description.

So if the A/C is not able to cool the cabin when set to max cool then the valve will not help being that the air is already bypassing the heater core.

I would be interested in trying this but it seems like cabin temp would now go below the set point being that it can't re-route some of the air through the heater core to maintain set temp. The only regulation would be blower speed.

Dan, Did you recharge the A/C yourself? Too much freon will cause poor performance.

• 7 years later...

I think you may have the heater core air flow door is always open. you may want to try "manual" instead of "auto" control.

simply, turn the all control off once and turning only the fan. and change the temp if this helps any. if helps, the auto mode control is broken.

if this is not helping, you may need to remove the small panel by paasenger side at bottom(just remove one plastic screw and pull out.hard.) so you can check the heater door is moving correctly back and forth all the way by changing the temp.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1999 rx300 and the AC sometimes doesn't work. It blows even hot air on a hot day. I had to use manual fan only, no recirculation, to get the outside fresh air.

But when it works, it blows cold air, very cold if I wanted, I was very happy with it.

I just got the dealer change the servo motors because they made grinding noise inside the radio area. And after getting the car back, I have this ac problem. I hate to spend another $1000 at the dealer.

I just replaced cabin air filter, it was clogged and very dirty with many leaves. But after replacement, I still have the same problem.

What could be the cause?

Thanks.

• 4 years later...

I have a 2002 Lexus RX 300 having an AC issue it does get cold or hot but only from the defrost and very weekly on the two outside driver and passenger vents The two inside Vents In the center part next to the radio as well as the two back vents in the backseat do not work at all my question is what part do I need to order to replace

• 3 years later...