Would You Buy Your Es330 Again?

Tundra- Sounds to me like all in all you're just in the wrong vehicle...

I like trucks too, and I had an Explorer before this. I do miss the high seating position and the room when going on trips, but thats all I miss. I will never drive another truck/SUV as a daily driver. The ES is just so much more comfortable. I might be persuaded to look into a car based SUV like an Infiniti FX if down the line I needed the space, but never a truck again.

Ricky- The vehicle learning isn't going to make the hesitation going away, but you lerning will. Practice being as smooth on the throttle as you can, don't use full throttle acceleration etc.

This concerns my 2003 ES300:

Transmission, Electronic throttle, Lexus raising the HP of the ES330, Having to learn how to drive the car........all I say to that is Bull! I've owned more than 30 cars, from older Lexus's to Cadillacs, from Acura's to Lincolns, and I never had a car perform so shabbily. This shifting thing, whether I'm on the highway or in the city is really starting to get me down. I have gone through the route that alot of Lexus owners went.....reprogramming the ECU, driving the car gingerly, you name it. I find myself in driving conditions that require immediate responses. This I don't have with this car!

No matter how smooth and well made this car is, this problem takes precedence over everything else and I've just about had it.

I have an 02 and I think I am one of the original complainers of the electronic throttle/transmission issue. I have learned how to accelerate the car very rapidly and not achieve the hesitation.

I have an 02 as well.. what is it you do to accelerate the car and not achieve hesitation??

I have an 02 and I think I am one of the original complainers of the electronic throttle/transmission issue.  I have learned how to accelerate the car very rapidly and not achieve the hesitation. 

I have an 02 as well.. what is it you do to accelerate the car and not achieve hesitation??

When the vehicle is in motion, don't push the throttle past 3/4. Meaning don't stomp it.

Press on the throttle quickly to get it to downshift one gear. Once in that gear, depress a little further to go to the next gear if more RPM is needed. Feel the tranny in your foot not your ears. If you stomp on it, the tranny tends to go one gear past what you want. My description seems like this procedure drags on for seconds, but in actuallity is does not.

It is hard to describe, it is easy to show someone while doing it.

Don't get me wrong, I can make it hesitate if I want to.

steviej

Come on.......isn't this a ridiculous way to have to drive a car? Having to nurse the transmission along to make it shift properly is not what I consider a good design. When you're in a situation that demands quick action I like to know the car will respond in like!

I have found that sometimes I need this response to get out of a hazardous situation. Not......now let me think.......I'll push the accelerator a bit so it won't downshift 2 gears instead of 1.

I have to admit I'm venting my frustration with this car. While my car was in for service today I had an '04 ES330 loaner that responded the same as my car, so I know this is NOT an isolated incident.

I swear I feel like going back to the old stick shift. :wacko:

Come on.......isn't this a ridiculous way to have to drive a car? Having to nurse the transmission along to make it shift properly is not what I consider a good design. When you're in a situation that demands quick action I like to know the car will respond in like!

I have found that sometimes I need this response to get out of a hazardous situation. Not......now let me think.......I'll push the accelerator a bit so it won't downshift 2 gears instead of 1.

Alan, it is not nursing the tranny along. It happens so fast that I don't ever see any hesitiation. I have put over 40,000 miles on this car in almost 2 years. It has become commonplace for me. I do all sorts of driving (city, back roads and all out expressway with rapid lane changes, etc.). I don't ever think about it anymore. When and if we meet up, I will demonstrate.

I also make it a habit of not getting into hazardous situations. Highly NOT the norm for a Boston driver. :lol:

Agreed, this tranny is not the one in my SSEi, but the SSEi is not the luxury sedan I drive today.

And yes, you are venting. But that is ok. That is one of the reasons for this site.

steviej