High Beams Are Same As Low Beams Rx 300

toxindoc

I have a 2000 RX 300 with approximately 175,000 miles. Approximately 6 mos ago, I again replaced my headlights at the dealer because they burned out (nonhalogen I think). Since then, I've noticed that my high beams are completely ineffective in illuminating the road and appear to have the same coverage as the low beams. I have since tried replacing them with a brighter bulb and had them reaimed (by the dealer) and they are still unchanged. An independent repair shop noted that these are single filament bulbs but were appropriate as per the Lexus repain manual. Should they be double filament and am I using the wrong bulbs? I live in a relatively rural area with lots of deer and this is a safety issue. Thanks

I have a 2000 RX 300 with approximately 175,000 miles. Approximately 6 mos ago, I again replaced my headlights at the dealer because they burned out (nonhalogen I think). Since then, I've noticed that my high beams are completely ineffective in illuminating the road and appear to have the same coverage as the low beams. I have since tried replacing them with a brighter bulb and had them reaimed (by the dealer) and they are still unchanged. An independent repair shop noted that these are single filament bulbs but were appropriate as per the Lexus repain manual. Should they be double filament and am I using the wrong bulbs? I live in a relatively rural area with lots of deer and this is a safety issue. Thanks

The high beams are one kind of bulb, the low beams another kind of bulb. The two also do not 'aim' independently: the lamp housing is 'aimed' as an unit (screws inside engine room, on top of housing - screw 'in - clockwise facing the screw' to lift aim). The dealer must know the correct bulbs to install. I have replaced those bulbs (which are not very bright) with 9011s and 9012s, which cost more but have many good characteristics, incl. more brightness and long life, with same wattage.

Normally. because of the shape of the connector and the shape of the flanges on the bulbs, you cannot install the wrong bulb in the highs or low beams. Maybe something is wrong with your power supply to the bulbs?

That's a very strange situation because the reflector is what casts the beam out on high beams. The daytime running lights use the same bulb as high beams but at a reduced intensity, I believe 50% by means of a resistor. Surely you would be able to tell if there was something wrong with the high beam system and was operating on DRL's instead as they are very yellow at 50% intensity. Because the Lexus uses 2 separate single filament bulbs, I believe the low beam bulbs stay on and the high beam bulbs are added when you switch to high beams. As you could tell from memory,when switching to high beams the roadway is not only illuminated much better, but for much farther out. A lot of cars use a single filament bulb so must switch the low beam element off when the high beam is switched on to keep from excessive heat in the bulb and premature failure. Without actually seeing the lights at night, it's difficult to diagnose but clearly there should be an extremely noticeable difference between low and high beam. I would go back and look into a failure of a fuse or relay in the DRL system. Good Luck!

P.S. Unhook the low beam plug-ons to the bulbs. See if there is any way you could safely drive at night with the high beams only. It will give you an idea if it is actually DRL involvement.

• 9 months later...

The high beams are one kind of bulb, the low beams another kind of bulb. The two also do not 'aim' independently: the lamp housing is 'aimed' as an unit (screws inside engine room, on top of housing - screw 'in - clockwise facing the screw' to lift aim). The dealer must know the correct bulbs to install. I have replaced those bulbs (which are not very bright) with 9011s and 9012s, which cost more but have many good characteristics, incl. more brightness and long life, with same wattage.

Normally. because of the shape of the connector and the shape of the flanges on the bulbs, you cannot install the wrong bulb in the highs or low beams. Maybe something is wrong with your power supply to the bulbs?

So you replaced the high beams original 9005 to 9012s? and it fits perfectly ? can i ask what make brand did you get these?

thanks

So you replaced the high beams original 9005 to 9012s? and it fits perfectly ? can i ask what make brand did you get these?

9005/HB3 bulbs can be replaced with HIR 9011 bulbs.

9006/HB4 blubs can be replaced with HIR 9012 bulbs.

"HIR" stands for "Halogen Infrared". Google and find threads that discuss HIR technology.

The bases of HIR bulbs have to be trimmed to allow them to be used in place of 9005 and 9006 bulbs -- see the attached instructions.

HIR 9012 bulbs are used on John Deere 9000 series equipment such as combines. The John Deere part number for HIR 9012 bulbs is AH211917.

post-2157-1258907899_thumb.png

"HIR" stands for "Halogen Infrared". Google and find threads that discuss HIR technology.

The bases of HIR bulbs have to be trimmed to allow them to be used in place of 9005 and 9006 bulbs -- see the attached instructions.

HIR 9012 bulbs are used on John Deere 9000 series equipment such as combines. The John Deere part number for HIR 9012 bulbs is AH211917.

I too replaced the 9005-6 with 9011-12 bulbs on a 99RX300 about eighteen months ago. Results are great. Much more light ouptut with the same consumption of energy. Excellent choice. You should search for the bulbs (Google), since the JDeere ones are not the least expensive. When replacing the bulb types, you will need to partly cut out the flanges of the new bulbs because they are too wide. It is easy to do (or to file down) since you have the original bulbs to 'copy'.

I too replaced the 9005-6 with 9011-12 bulbs on a 99RX300 about eighteen months ago. Results are great. Much more light ouptut with the same consumption of energy. Excellent choice. You should search for the bulbs (Google), since the JDeere ones are not the least expensive. When replacing the bulb types, you will need to partly cut out the flanges of the new bulbs because they are too wide. It is easy to do (or to file down) since you have the original bulbs to 'copy'.

Over here driveing at night is a nightmare..i ran over 4 cats and hit 2 dogs in a 1 month period of driveing at night SAD!!...completely different roads compared to north america...i really appriciate your help guys!!thanks

Over here driveing at night is a nightmare..i ran over 4 cats and hit 2 dogs in a 1 month period of driveing at night SAD!!...completely different roads compared to north america...i really appriciate your help guys!!thanks

This is where I purchased my 9011-9012 bulbs. The site contains a persuasive description of their benefits.

http://www.finemotoring.com/

Good luck!