Prestigious Society Overide For Navigation & Phone

Some users on this forum and other forums are disappointed that the Lexus navigation system and Bluetooth phone system cannot be operated while the car is in motion. I was one of those users. Having previously been a Mercedes driver I missed the convenience of being able to dial the phone or operates a navigation system while driving.

While the voice commands for navigation are satisfactory 70% of the time I found using voice commands to input a phone number was only accurate 30% of the time (I spent three hours testing both and kept records of 250 attempts)

After researching here and on another Lexus forum I learned of Prestigious Society and their kit to override a navigation lockout.

I was afraid to dismantle the dashboard to install this kit even though all of the forum postings seem to indicate that the process was not that complicated.

I emailed Mark at prestigious Society (mark@prestigioussociety.com) and I also spoke to him on the phone. He replied to my emails promptly as well as my phone call.

My Lexus sales representative told me that installing a kit might void the warranty but in the end I made the decision that installing the kit and the convenience of being able to use the override was worth the hassle that I would have to go through dismantling the dashboard.

Mark assured me that he would send detailed instructions which he did. The instructions were approximately 20 pages long and had color photographs and step-by-step procedures. The dashboard is primarily held together by clips and things just pull apart. You have to put tape over some of the delicate pieces so that you don't scratch them. Also you must have confidence to just pull on something so that you can remove it. The console comes apart easily but the sound system and a navigation system you must pull firmly to get it out. Also there are a couple screws in the navigation system that are hard to get to.

I hired someone that I thought was a little more mechanically inclined to help me in that fellow did most of the work but I could have done it.

It took us about two hours from start to finish and neither one of us were auto mechanics.

I'm so glad I bought this kit. Now I can use the override switch whenever I want and really it makes using the navigation system and most importantly for me the telephone much easier.

The interior of my car is light colored so I installed the override switch in the ashtray. I don't smoke so I don't need the lighter. I drilled a hole in the side of the ashtray and ran the override cable through that hole. Now whenever I want to press the override I just open the ashtray door.

If there's anyone out there who is disappointed that they cannot use the navigation system or dial the telephone or use their phone book while the car is driving override kit is the answer.

I encourage anyone that has purchased this override kit in the past or is it may do so in the future to share your experiences here so that others that come later will have the confidence to buy this product.

Thanks to the people who maintain this forum for allowing us to help each other this way.

rgrds

Phil J.

• 2 weeks later...

The kit cost was on sale for $299 plus tax and shipping. I had it installed this weekend and it works great. It is a must have. It allows you to use your phone (including dialing and contacts) and navigation (inputing addresses) while driving the vehicle. It also lets you view a dvd (if you vehicle is equiped with the ML dvd changer) while your navigation routes you to your destination (great for long trips). I would not advise you to watch a movie while driving alone (very dangerous). However, it is good for the family on road trips. I will put in a 'stand up comedy' dvd for my friends on road trips, that way I can also enjoy the dvd feature.

Thats super, I'm glad it works.

What did the kit set you back?

Steve sorry I did not see your posting sooner.

It was just under $300. plus 2 hours of my time. now that I have used it a few times I love it even more. It also works with the CD player and the music on the hard drive.

• 2 weeks later...
Thats great! I'm glad it works...

I also bought the kit from Mark at Prestigious and he had an installer in the Fullerton CA area who installed it for me for $100 plus the kit cost of $299. It works great, well worth the $400 to have the DVD, phone and navigation systems accessable while driving my 2008 LS460L. I understand the Lexus position with so many people ready to sue anyone over anthing these days. I am just thankful for resourceful people like Mark for coming up with these solutions for us.

Prestigious Society Mark. mark@prestigioussociety.com

Lon in Encinitas Ca