Drivers Seat Comfort

2008 RX 350

Does anyone else in the Club have issues with the comfort of the drivers seat. I am 6 feet tall and 195 pounds. I would consider this average.

The seat back is fine. My problem is the seat itself. It seems short, lenght wise(assumption) and applies pressure to the back of my thigh. If I drive for an hour or more it is most noticable and when exiting the car I seem to have to get my right leg loosened up. I do not have the same issue with my left leg which is strange because I would think the problem would be with both legs. I have the seat all the way back and at its lowest position. This gives me comfortable leg and head space.The control for the front part of the seat to go up/down is also at its lowest position which I presume is level. I have tried several different positions but they just seems to confuse the issue and not resolve it. I quess this is the trouble with too many seat position choices.

This is my first experience with Lexus so it may be I just need to get use to the seats??

I would appreciate any input.

2008 RX 350

Does anyone else in the Club have issues with the comfort of the drivers seat. I am 6 feet tall and 195 pounds. I would consider this average.

The seat back is fine. My problem is the seat itself. It seems short, lenght wise(assumption) and applies pressure to the back of my thigh. If I drive for an hour or more it is most noticable and when exiting the car I seem to have to get my right leg loosened up. I do not have the same issue with my left leg which is strange because I would think the problem would be with both legs. I have the seat all the way back and at its lowest position. This gives me comfortable leg and head space.The control for the front part of the seat to go up/down is also at its lowest position which I presume is level. I have tried several different positions but they just seems to confuse the issue and not resolve it. I quess this is the trouble with too many seat position choices.

This is my first experience with Lexus so it may be I just need to get use to the seats??

I'm 6', too, a little lighter, but honestly if I put the seat back all the way, I could barely touch the pedals! 'Just shows how proportions vary. Most performance driving schools say you should be able to touch the carpet behind the brake pedal in determining driving position, so you can safely operate brake and clutch. You have apparently adopted a different position or you have very long legs, but I'd say try moving forward and raising the back part of the seat so your head is nearer the ceiling, keeping the backrest fairly upright, and then lift the front portion of the seat to give you some support. Steering wheel should be in a position where, with arms extended, your wrist falls on the top of the rim. That's one school of thought, there are others. Just a suggestion, try it for a day. I have pretty bad sciatica problems, and extended leg driving, on cars where I had little choice, aggravates it.

2008 RX 350

I'm 6', too, a little lighter, but honestly if I put the seat back all the way, I could barely touch the pedals! 'Just shows how proportions vary. Most performance driving schools say you should be able to touch the carpet behind the brake pedal in determining driving position, so you can safely operate brake and clutch. You have apparently adopted a different position or you have very long legs, but I'd say try moving forward and raising the back part of the seat so your head is nearer the ceiling, keeping the backrest fairly upright, and then lift the front portion of the seat to give you some support. Steering wheel should be in a position where, with arms extended, your wrist falls on the top of the rim. That's one school of thought, there are others. Just a suggestion, try it for a day. I have pretty bad sciatica problems, and extended leg driving, on cars where I had little choice, aggravates it.

Thanks retired00.

I have made some modifications as suggested with some improvement but I still experience pain/discomfort in the back of my thigh and right knee gets a little stiff. I have to tell you I have been driving for over 40 years in a lot of different cars and never had an isssue with car seat discomfort.

I am not sure by raising the front part of the seat up further if it will give relief or cause more discomfort. I will just keep trying. This car is really a nice ride otherwise.

I am not sure by raising the front part of the seat up further if it will give relief or cause more discomfort. I will just keep trying. This car is really a nice ride otherwise.

Yep, too much lift, numbness, too little, discomfort. I've been driving that long, too, and I'm not having a problem with the RX. It's odd that I can find immediate comfort with a non-power seat when I have the occasion. Put it in slot 4 and I'm good to go. Give me an 8 or 12 way seat, and memory 1 is for the current test, memory 2 is for the last one that I could live with! There are some good books on performance driving that give suggestions. Jackie Stewart published one.

• 1 month later...

daddy:

Boy, do I have empathy for you! My wife and I traded our 6 year old RX300 in a couple of weeks ago for a "CPO" '07 RX-350. With the 300, I never had "any" driver's fatique. The seats were tremendous!.....firm support without being harsh.

Well now.......this 350 is a totally different story. I too am suffering from the same issues that you have posted. I can't find a comfortable position for this seat bottom. I am constantly fiddling witht he controls and shifting my seating position trying to alleviate the pressure on the back and sides of my thighs. I am 6"!" tall and about 215 lbs.

Just for the record, when we test drove the car at the dealership before making the buying decision, I did notice some differences in the comfort (or lack thereof) in the seats. Just for my own information, I measured the seat bottom dimensions and comparted them with the 300s. If my memory is correct, the seat bottom cushion's width in the 350 was 1" less, and the front to back depth was 1.5" less. Doesn't seem like much, but boy did it make a difference for me! I am having major buyer's remorse at this point and very disappointed that I didn't do my homework on this before making a buy decision. Every other aspect of the car is great and a major improvement over the 300......but if you can't find a comfortable driving postion, all of these things don't matter. BTW, my wife does not have any issue with the seat comfort.

I am exploring the possibility of getting an auto upholstery shop to craft a different seat bottom and pricing for same. I would have them flare out the side bolsters more to add width and also to add a little more depth by extending the front edge of the seat cushion to give more support there as well.

I just can't see living with the seats the way they are and don't want to sell the car and take a loss, not to mention paying the CA state tax all over again on a different vehicle.

Oh my aching legs.....esp. right leg as you mentioned.

Now to vent.......Lexus must have changed seat vendors and went with the lowest bidder!.....as these seats are the worst seats of any in all of the cars I have ever owned! :cries:

daddy:

Boy, do I have empathy for you! My wife and I traded our 6 year old RX300 in a couple of weeks ago for a "CPO" '07 RX-350. With the 300, I never had "any" driver's fatique. The seats were tremendous!.....firm support without being harsh.

Well now.......this 350 is a totally different story. I too am suffering from the same issues that you have posted. I can't find a comfortable position for this seat bottom. I am constantly fiddling witht he controls and shifting my seating position trying to alleviate the pressure on the back and sides of my thighs. I am 6"!" tall and about 215 lbs.

Just for the record, when we test drove the car at the dealership before making the buying decision, I did notice some differences in the comfort (or lack thereof) in the seats. Just for my own information, I measured the seat bottom dimensions and comparted them with the 300s. If my memory is correct, the seat bottom cushion's width in the 350 was 1" less, and the front to back depth was 1.5" less. Doesn't seem like much, but boy did it make a difference for me! I am having major buyer's remorse at this point and very disappointed that I didn't do my homework on this before making a buy decision. Every other aspect of the car is great and a major improvement over the 300......but if you can't find a comfortable driving postion, all of these things don't matter. BTW, my wife does not have any issue with the seat comfort.

I am exploring the possibility of getting an auto upholstery shop to craft a different seat bottom and pricing for same. I would have them flare out the side bolsters more to add width and also to add a little more depth by extending the front edge of the seat cushion to give more support there as well.

I just can't see living with the seats the way they are and don't want to sell the car and take a loss, not to mention paying the CA state tax all over again on a different vehicle.

Oh my aching legs.....esp. right leg as you mentioned.

Now to vent.......Lexus must have changed seat vendors and went with the lowest bidder!.....as these seats are the worst seats of any in all of the cars I have ever owned! :cries:

Kennemax

I am still having a problem and have given up with the seat adjustments. I have the front incline at the lowest setting which I presume is level. My right leg now has constant discomfort from the back of my thigh down to my foot. It is like a tingling sensation. The funny thing is I have no issue with my left leg. I believe I have developed Sciatca from this seat but you would think it would also effect the left leg. I have a regular DR. visit this month and will discuss with the Dr. as to what may be going on. I have never had any issues with my leg before. I presume it is hitting the nerve in the right place. I drove a jeep for 25 years and never had any problems. I would guess the jeep seats are wider and longer. I spoke with my dealer who was very supportive but states he never had this complaint before. They also contacted Lexus and they claim there are no complaints about seat discomfort.? I notice your model year is 2007 and mine is a 2008 so it appears to be in more than one model year. Other than this issue the seats are fine.

I like you can not afford to take a loss so early in the purchase and will just have to live with it untill a soultion is found.

Does your wife have the same problem? If you find a solution please post it . My sympathy from CT.

daddy:

I too have suffered from sciattica before. Here is an exercise that has helped in the past and I am now again on this same routine.

Do the following at least 2x a day if not more...definitely in the AM after you get up.

1. Sit on a chair or stool that is at a height that is as close to even to the distance between the bottom of your foot to the underside of your thigh when seated.

2. While seated, take your right foot and pull your right leg over the top of your left knee such that the area right above your right ankle is resting over the top of your left knee.

3. Then with both hands, press in a downward motion over the inside of your right knee.

4. Hold this pressure for at least 30 seconds or more.

If you are doing this exercise correctly, you will feel the muscles in the right upper thigh and right buttock area stretch, thereby stretching the sciattic nerve as well.

Repeat this every day and hopefully you will see improvement.

I will keep you posted on how things go with this issue.

Thanks for your prompt reply and Good Luck ! :)

I have the 08 RX350 AWD as well and am 6'2", 215 lbs., and 60 years old The seat is all the way back, all the way down, and slightly tilted back to get me to fit comfortably.

Yes, the seats are a bit tight but I'll bet you keep your wallet in your right back pocket. Try taking taking it out and storing it in the center console on long trips. (Or you could just sent it to me! :rolleyes: ) I have two herniated disks on the right side, can't remember the numbers, but my chiropractor and physical therapist have a fit if either one sees my wallet in any back pocket. I've gone to cargo shorts and cargo pants to use the side pocket for my wallet. So far, there has not been a bit of pain, numbness, or reaction while driving the car.

Hope the wallet idea works for you.

Wallet idea is a great one ha. I have heard of many complaints with the RX seats and they just can't seem to make em right. One of the people affected was my father who never bought the car because of the seat. Even though the RX is Lexus' best seller, they should probably change the seats a little bit to have even more sales which = more money B)

• 1 month later...

We have a new ('08) 350 after having driven over 100k miles in a 2000 RX and never experiencing driver-seat-fatigue.. I agree that the new driver's seat is very uncomfortable. For me, it is butt-numbing on trips over 150 - 250 miles. What a loser!! If I had to do over I would strongly consider a different choice.

Glad I found this topic!! Based on what is being said here and on my experience it would appear that a few of us are not happy with Lexus seat comfort. I had similar problem - had a GS which was brilliantly comfortable then got RX and had all sorts of discomfort initially:

- upper hamstring / lower buttock discomfort in left leg. Not a pain but almost as if the seat was tilting to the left or I was sinking lower on this side

- lower back pain in region of left hip/ lower back

- cramp in left leg

Pleased to say I have this problem sorted now :

- went to Chiropractor who diagnosed locking problem with 5th Vertebra leading to nerve problems and hamstring knotting in left leg - I had no physical indications there was a problem when not driving but the seat was amplifying the problem

- therefore I moved my seat forward so my legs would lift up slightly

- removed wallet from right back pocket

- before each journey I massage my hamstring of left leg near buttock (sorry if this conjures up strange images :whistles: )

Now I find the seats very comfortable.

Interesting to note that lots of people over 200lbs notice the problem?? I am 210.