Engine Miss Firing

todd332

Ok When at idel the engine has a bad miss' .You can even hear it in the Exhaust , going putt puttt puttt. Car Shakes.

This happen after I had a complete Tune up.. We thought maybe we got some bad wires , but we have replaced everything 3 Times ( including Dist. cap ) and still no help . PVC , Fuel Filter has also been changed .The car is a 92 ES . Any thought? It cant be bad gas , Re-fuled twice already using different service stations . The engine has No Codes.

Also wanted to state , You dont feel the Car missin' when driving , Unless you come to a stop... And on the last dist. cap we had on , I touched one of the wires that was plugged into the dist. cap and got shocked to hell and back , but with the 3rd. Dist. cap now on , I dont get Shocked when I touch it.

How about the plugs, maybe they are new but have a bad gap!?!

or too old?

does it back fire? how about when you accelerate and then let go of the gas?

3 mechanics check for leaks on the intake and such and found nothing ....

Also you mentioned that you had a cap & rotor, make sure that 2 Wires are not switched, or that the timing got changed on the distributor !!!

Let us know

How about the plugs, maybe they are new but have a bad gap!?!

or too old?

does it back fire? how about when you accelerate and then let go of the gas?

3 mechanics check for leaks on the intake and such and found nothing ....

I feel like Screaming ! Went to the mechanic today . Drove the car for 25 miles with it hooked up to the Scanner . Nothing . Changed the Fuel filter again. Had the fuel system professionly Cleaned .. Still missin' .. Checked timming and ignition .. still missin' Found the big hose that comes off the air filter was busted to peieces .. Replaced that with a new one.. Car ran great for 10 miles . No Miss .. We'll now its back ... You can hear it bad in the Exhaust ...Any one have any thoughts?

As for the plugs , wires , dist.cap. All working 100% , There is no Miss fire in those .The car does not back fire . The missin' is at idel or when u come to a stop , but not when in motion..

Ok. Promblem has got worse ..Can barly drive the car it is miss'n so bad. Took it to the Lexus Dealer First thing this A.M.. They started by doing a complete tune up (4 th one) Using nothing but there parts.. No help .. They completely Tore the Car to pieces and Checked everything including ripping apart the exhaust system (YIKES THE BILL I HAD TOO PAY). The result was they said the Rear injectors are bad and need replaced. Does this Sound correct for the promblems I have been having?

Okay, so that's weird... you changed out a busted up intake hose and it ran smooth and fine for about 10 miles, but then started again, eh? As bad as before? Or now worse? So, changing out the hose made a dramatic difference... but not permanently. Hmm... so, the problem is somewhere in that area. The reason I pointed out the 'vacuum' or intake hose is because a guy I knew had a 3-series Beemer with the same symptoms, and it turned out to be a fine crack in the bellows of the intake duct from the airbox. It was causing his MAF to freak and give misreadings, but it doesn't show up on the scanner because everything is "working fine" in that the ECU is working fine and trying to compensate, but the leak is causing it to perform poorly. In his case, it was something that couldn't be seen until you squeezed it and then it opened up... once he changed it, all was good.

So, is it possible they 'jiggled' something when replacing the hose, and it sealed for a while, then opened up worse after a few miles? Are there any other cracks? Do you know why the hose was all busted up? (fatigue, damage, other?)

Leaky fuel injectors could cause similar symptoms... but it's strange your problems went away for a while afer the hose change. "Bad" fuel injectors usually just result in a lack of power or running rich (depending on if they are clogged or leaking).

I really think your problem is in the intake system around the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor... can you check to make sure nothing slipped off in that 10miles? Or that nothing else is cracked or busted up? With the engine running at idle, try moving the intake hose around a little, moving the airbox a touch, and wiggling the MAF... if the idle changes at all, you know the problem is in that area.

I ordered 6 new injectors , going to have them installed this weekend.. The lexus dealer Tested all the Vacumm and the intake hoses and said they was fine.. How ever today when I was driving , the car barly would go when I pressed the gas pedal , So I floored the SOB and needless to say it is driving fine when the car is in motion , however I have a exhaust leak up front somewhere now :whistles:

The injectors are being installed tommorrow . Hope this solves the promblem also .. already spent close to $2,000.00 trying to figure this promblem out . :chairshot:

BTW I have a Complete Brand new set of spark plug wires , cap , rotor button , bosh platnum+2 spark plugs.(aftermarket ) . If anyone needs them let me kno , You can have them for FREE ! I am stuck with them and have no use for them , Since LEXUS' Thought that was the promblem and replaced everything with there brand. Needless to say , I have used the same exact aftermarket stuff on my previous lexus and never had a promblem with them. Talk about a waste of money .

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

what part of pa do u live in?

Funny. Today my RX started giving me the same probs. I have a 99 RX300 with a ton of miles on it. (178k) Everything is original tranny, engine, all the good stuff... i have only replaced a few sensors and replaced an exhaust gasket in 4 years... I drive it like a freekin supra or something, but i take good care of it when i turn it off... Today i filled her up w/89 like usual and not more than 5miles later she began sputtering... Naturally i floored it... severe power loss... wouldnt really go to high on the tachs, shifting at around 3,500 with the pedal pinned.. when i stopped, the engine had a rumble that shook the car... it continued when i pulled off until 2,500 where it smoothed out but still had no power... Make any sense?

Keeping fingers crossed this solves your problems. Nothing like chasing down gremlins in the engine with no apparent cause... that gets really $$$ really fast.

Do you still have the extra parts that you have? I just got a 92 es300 and I am trying to do some tune up work myself. I will pay for the shipping. If you still have to part to give away, you can email me to bbcatcat2002@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

John