Headlight Removal/ballast Replacement

Hello Guys, I got the new light bulbs but the passanger side still did not work. I now assume that the ballast needs to be replace. I will buy 2 new ballst and replace those also. I did a search on headlight replacement but did not find the info I needed. If someone has done this are know how to replace the ballast I would greatly appreciate it. if there is anyone in the Northern VA,MD or RaleighNC area that has done this on a 99GS400 I would be willing to pay for the sevice.I know it can't be as expensive as going to the dealer. Either way I really need to get it done. Anybody willing to do the job or give me the procedures for it.Thanks

You need to remove the bumper cover to remove the headlight. The ballast is mounted under the headlight housing. I would check the fuse first (if you haven't already) in the engine compartment. In the junction box, rear of the engine room, passenger side. The fuse for the right (passenger) side is marked H-LP R-LWR 15AMP.

To remove the bumper cover you must disconnect the fog lamps and side markers from underneath. Remove the splash shields in the wheel arches, and the engine under cover pan. Remove the bolts securing the bumper cover, don't forget the two nuts below each headlight accessible from under the wheel arch. Be ready to disconnect the washer nozzles if you have them. The headlight is secured with three bolts.

post-4610-1121150887_thumb.jpg

You are going about checking things backwards and spengin more money on things than you need too.

If you have a problem it is reccomened you always post in the original thread and not start a new one ,this creates a consistant flow of information to follow for possibilities.

If i remember right you had one side flickering on/off.

First thing you should have done is switch the bulbs left/right.

This eliminates them if the problem doesn't switch sides.

If it did then change A bulb.

If it doesn't then get a new ballast and ignitor.

To replace the ballast you need to remove the headlight as it is mounted under it .

To get the headlight out you need to remove the front bumper.

It is an easy job but a pain in the !Removed! as i have already had to do it for one car already ,which also involved seperating the harness from the wires to feed it back into place on the headlight housing to reinstall

• 3 years later...
You need to remove the bumper cover to remove the headlight. The ballast is mounted under the headlight housing. I would check the fuse first (if you haven't already) in the engine compartment. In the junction box, rear of the engine room, passenger side. The fuse for the right (passenger) side is marked H-LP R-LWR 15AMP.

To remove the bumper cover you must disconnect the fog lamps and side markers from underneath. Remove the splash shields in the wheel arches, and the engine under cover pan. Remove the bolts securing the bumper cover, don't forget the two nuts below each headlight accessible from under the wheel arch. Be ready to disconnect the washer nozzles if you have them. The headlight is secured with three bolts.

Well hopefully Im doin this the right way, I wanted to make a new post so I could get some help on this *BLEEP* quick but w/e. Ive done all this gotten the damn bolts under the headlight out too but i cant seem to find on to fully remove the bumper. The bolt closest to the wheel that holds it to the cornerpanel is removed but theres still a bolt in there somewhere that I cant seem to find and I cant get the !Removed! off. Really need some help here with this as I gotta get the headlight out n change these bulbs. THanks.

and for anyone who might help, which i hope they do especially since ill keep posting something to keep this at the top till i get some help lol its a 2002 gs430. i know its all essentially the same as the 400 n similar to the 3 but ive seen some diy for a 99 400 and then this one you have here and not everything seems to match up. im not stupid, but im also not fully mechanically inclined im learning but w/instructions i can do anything so if it were to match up i should should be able to do it. im obvioulsy missing something, one final bolt?, to remove this friggin bumper. please help. domo

haha crap now its dark as all hell and im riggin light sources and crap cause im not putting this damn thing back together until i get the lights changed and this broken piece fixed. ive gone this far taken it apart as much as i have its stupid to me to put it back together i can just drive my durango. but seriously ive gone and messed around, felt around all that i can and looked as much as is possible and i cant see anything that would be holding the bumper on still. it seems to be held at the upper part of this vertical separation above the side marker lights. i removed the bolt to the lower section of that, but there seems to be one on the upper part that doesnt exist but is still holding it together. the only thing ive seen is a bolt that instead of facing foward or back is actually screwed into the side, what looks like the frame and i dont think its that and dont want to take any chances undoing some part of the frame or whatever until i know anything else. please some help lol. this blows.

bah well apparently it ends up, or so it seems after examining the breakaway and feeling around the car and repeating many times over that i may have been missing a bolt since i think i found one. which also means i may have removed something that wasnt supposed to be lol. but either way its too restrictive of an area, too dark and cold outside, and im too *BLEEP*ed to f w/this car anymore. and i cant get at that one bolt w/the tools i have. !Removed!. anyways, any tips on how to make this easier, i didnt remove the whole splash guard just enough to get in there but it doesnt seem like it would help since the washer fluid reservoir is blocking the whole space on the drivers side. but since many of you have done this before, this is why i ask. please some tips on making this easier since i really dont think ill be able to get that bolt even if i get the right deep socket or w/e i may need. thanks.