Advice For Newbies Re: Oil Changes

golfknut

Hello everyone,

I got a used 2003 Lexus IS300 back in August and i just got my oil changed. Of course i was a complete noob and the oil they put in was Castrol GTX 10W30. Is that the recommended oil for this car is that the best one to get? I can't tell from googling the web if it's synthetic or not. Should I just buy my own oil next time and bring it in to the shop? I google'd around and ppl seem to recommend Mobil 1 5w30 but i'm not sure what the 10w30 and synthetic mean do i really need them, etc.

Edit: forgot to add, i paid $26 for labor (.3h) and about 22 for the oil for 5.7 q.. is that expensive for an oil change?

Need some advice from fellow IS owners :)

Thanks so much in advance!

Well, first, Welcome to the LOC. :)

And yes, the first time I took mine in for an oil change because I was in a hurry and didn't have the time to do it myself, they used Castrol also. GTX is not a synthetic oil. It is a modified conventional oil. I beleive Syntec is the Castrol synthetic line.

I see your in Seattle, The weather there gets very cold?, Then yeah, a 5w30 would be a better choice for the colder weather conditions. I am a huge Amsoil user. I recommend it to everyone without reservation. I am not a Mobil fan, they use a mixed base stock for thier oils, but that's just me.

I would definately atleast go synthetic though. Todays synth. oils just way out perform conventionals on so many levels. And you extend your oil change frequency to boot.

Well, first, Welcome to the LOC. :)

And yes, the first time I took mine in for an oil change because I was in a hurry and didn't have the time to do it myself, they used Castrol also. GTX is not a synthetic oil. It is a modified conventional oil. I beleive Syntec is the Castrol synthetic line.

I see your in Seattle, The weather there gets very cold?, Then yeah, a 5w30 would be a better choice for the colder weather conditions. I am a huge Amsoil user. I recommend it to everyone without reservation. I am not a Mobil fan, they use a mixed base stock for thier oils, but that's just me.

I would definately atleast go synthetic though. Todays synth. oils just way out perform conventionals on so many levels. And you extend your oil change frequency to boot.

Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

Obviously the guys that changed my oil don't know jack so i'm not going back there again... do you think the 26$ labor price was expensive? also now that its done what will happen with my car having 10w30 now and not having synthetic.. is it really bad bad that i should go change it again?

Thanks!

No, no, nothing like that. Go ahead and get your money out of the oil that's in it. I would change the oil again at about 2500-3000 miles from now. Then just make sure you put a new filter on at the same time you convert to synthetic. No matter where you go to have your oil changed, it's gonna run you on average 40-50 bucks. Your right there in price. But remember that's conventional oil. Synthetic oil is gonna cost you ( if you have someone else do it) anywhere from 70-100 bucks. But your oil change intervals are every 7500 miles instead of 3000-3500 miles. So you just about break even in the long run. If you go to Amsoil, you can extend the oil change intervals to 15-20,000 miles between oil changes!! But you have to change the oil yourself as I don't know of anyplaces that use Amsoil for commercial oil changes.

No, no, nothing like that. Go ahead and get your money out of the oil that's in it. I would change the oil again at about 2500-3000 miles from now. Then just make sure you put a new filter on at the same time you convert to synthetic. No matter where you go to have your oil changed, it's gonna run you on average 40-50 bucks. Your right there in price. But remember that's conventional oil. Synthetic oil is gonna cost you ( if you have someone else do it) anywhere from 70-100 bucks. But your oil change intervals are every 7500 miles instead of 3000-3500 miles. So you just about break even in the long run. If you go to Amsoil, you can extend the oil change intervals to 15-20,000 miles between oil changes!! But you have to change the oil yourself as I don't know of anyplaces that use Amsoil for commercial oil changes.

Awesome, thanks so much that helps big time!!

I had a question about the mileage too. Should i go by miles or time? People say every 3000 miles or 3 months but 3 months seems awfully short and if i don't hit the 3000 miles should i still get my oil changed?

Awesome, thanks so much that helps big time!!

I had a question about the mileage too. Should i go by miles or time? People say every 3000 miles or 3 months but 3 months seems awfully short and if i don't hit the 3000 miles should i still get my oil changed?

I change my oil myself but I split the difference between the 3000 mile and the recommended 7.500 and change every 5000. including the filter. I have done this ever since I started driving 50 yrs ago. Never had a mechanic change my oil. I am in So. Calif. In the winter I use 5-30 and summer 10-30. My car has 150,000 and doesn't use a drop of oil. Eventhough I didn't buy the car new. ( I put 85,000 on the car in the last 3 yrs.) changing oil at regular intervals is very important in keeping it running good and extending its life.