Es 250 Speedometer Problems

I have a 1991 ES 250 5 speed with speedometer problems, it stopped working. This model has a cable driven speedometer.

So I test the the speedometer by diconecting the cable from the back of the transmission and chucking up the end of the cable in a cordless drill, meter inside works ok.

I then proceed to remove the housing the cable attaches to from the back of the transmission, this peice is held on with one bolt and has a O ring seal. What I find when I remove this is a pin with small ears on each end which drives the the cable from the gear inside the transmission through the housing , which may be a right angle reduction gear, to the cable.

This pin is about 1 1/2 inches long , made of steel, about 3/16 of an inch in diameter, and has a small ear on each end . This pin fits into a sleeve with a slot in it in the housing which bolts to the outside of the transmission, the other end of the pin looks like it fits into the end of the drive gear from inside of the transmission, which is made the same way , a sleeve with a slot in it. The problem is one of the ears on the pin is broke or wore off. Is this a sheer pin?

I've contacted the local Lexus dealer and they claim there are just two parts available for this model in this area. One is the gear, the other the housing which holds the gear into the transmission. I had them send me a fax of the drawing they had and these aren't the parts I need.

The parts are special order , I can't take my part in and compare it to what they have. Does anyone know the name of this pin? A part number pehaps? Does is come with the housing which holds the gear in, or with the gear? What is the part called which bolts to the outside of the tranmission and the cable attaches to? Is there somewhere online I can find a blowup or drawing of these parts? I can't find a good repair manual, the best I can do is a chilton's and that is so generic its almost useless.

these peices your talking about should be the exact same things as the camry's from those years.... Go to the toyota dealership, if you have one... they should exactly what your talking about...