Restoring Bumper Chrome Lining

The chrome on my front and rear bumper has faded to white. Is there anything I could do? Does Lexus sell a replacement piece?

Hey, how about filling out the year of your car in your profile, Gapxguy? Maybe we could help you out if we knew what kind of car you were talking about?

Nevertheless, one possible solution would be to go to the automotive store and look for a chrome pinstripe the same width of the area you're talking about. Just clean the area with some thinner (I prefer Dupont 3812 Enamel Reducer [also removes road tar and grime like nobody's business]) and tape that baby in. Of course, it works best on a flat or slightly convex surface. Complicated multi-ribbed stripes are out for this application.

Another possible road is clean, mask, and paint the area in either body color, or trim black (a semi-satin trim paint, also available at the auto parts store.) If you really want to go for the chrome, I guess you could try a careful application of chrome spray paint. I can't say I've ever really liked the results of such paints, but in a small area, such as a pinstripe, you might be satisfied.

If you are talking abou the thin chrome trim that runs all around the bumpers, then those can be replaced. Try contacting Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota

gonzo4u@earthlink.net

1-800-908-6968