Better Preformance...

I have a 92 SC400 with 100K on it and I've been looking around at things like exhaust's and intakes but I keep hearing different things from different poeple. I would appreciate it if someone could give me their opinion on some upgrades like these.

Should I go cat-back on the exhaust? or does it make much of a different with just the muffle? I found a Borla that says "rear-end", does that mean it's just the muffler?

And would something like the Injen intake system be much of an improvement?

Any recommendations would help! Thanks

Bryan

intake and exhaust components will only give you better response, and not really a big difference in power. if you do get exhaust and there is no emmisions laws get rid of your cats, and get hedders too.

A full exhaust system, as long as it's installed correctly will always perform better than just mufflers. If it were my car, I would replace piping also. And of course, get headers if there's budget for it. As far as intake goes. I would go with a BFI type setup, or "Ram Box." That seems to be about the best bang for the buck.

I have a 92 SC400 with 100K on it and I've been looking around at things like exhaust's and intakes but I keep hearing different things from different poeple. I would appreciate it if someone could give me their opinion on some upgrades like these.

Should I go cat-back on the exhaust? or does it make much of a different with just the muffle? I found a Borla that says "rear-end", does that mean it's just the muffler?

And would something like the Injen intake system be much of an improvement?

Any recommendations would help! Thanks

Bryan

Welcome to the club. First things first; visit our General FAQ and Audio Links Thread--pinned on our forum. There are links on what to improve on your 92 SC4--ie "Intellexual".

The decision is yours to make, especially since it's your money.

Regarding your question about exhausts, Cat-back is one of the best legal ways. The other option is a full custom exhaust set-up--2.5"s and above, best choices.

Rear-end means only the muffler.

Some retailer was selling a nice cat-back kit using Borla parts. I'm shying away from Borla since Japanese exhausts are available.

Sound-wise the intake will do it's job, but after going through the FAQ thread you want to take another route, getting a better performing intakes will be your best choice.

I would put the money down for a full tune up myself before I did anything. Replace every fluid in the car, plugs, wires, ect. Reclaim lost power. Then go towards intake and exhaust.

99% of exhaust are the same. the 1% is Mandrel vs standard bends.

Ive used a few exhaust systems now and the only thing noticable was the sound difference (They all did help with power a little, But no 'clear cut' winner or huge gains)

What I would d0 was head to an exhaust shop and have them look at your car and build an exhaust for you.

Just remember..bigger aint always better, when it comes to exhaust for these cars. The ECU will work against performance mods after a certain point. adjustments as to not burn up valves n stuff due to 'over lean heavy breathing', etc... ;)

Good luck :)

So if I were to cut the third cat and put an x-pipe there would I be taking out an O2 sensor? Or are they only in the first two?

I don't know too much about this stuff, but trying to... so if I don't make sense everyonce in a while that is why, ha ha.

I was told if there was an O2 sensor in the third cat then they send info back and forth so I would have to replace it and couldn't just cut it out... but if there wasn't then there is no problem cutting anything from the two cats back...