Time for timing belt

• 2 weeks later...

I did not replace the timing belt on my ES300 until well after 100,000 miles, so I think your worries are virtually nil.  My understanding is that the V6 engine in not an "interference" design, which means that even in the extremely unlikely event the timeng belt were to fail, the pistons will not strike the valves, so while the engine will stop running, no seriious internal damage will occur.  Most repair shops, and I think dealerships as well, will recommend that when replacing the timing belt, the water pump, belt idler and tensioner pulleys, front crankshaft seal, and camshart seals also be replace as preventative maintence.  The additional cost is moderate, especially when compared to having to essentially repeat the entire process should one of the aforementioned parts fail in the near future.  Getting it all done at one time is far cheaper and will give you far greater peace of mind for future trips.  

• Like 1