Dashcam for RX300

Dave_02RX300

I was looking at the dongar.tech website to see if there was a dongle for the RX300 mirror, and thought I would search the RX300 posts here for "dashcam" - but there were no posts.  Has anyone installed, easily, a dashcam on their RX300?

In my 2015 RX350, I attached a Rexing V5 camera on the windshield just to the right of where the rear-view mirror sits.  I was able to easily insert the power cable behind the molding around the windshield, and down the area just in front of the passenger door, the went under the dash until it came out near a 12V socket. Camera seems to work fine. 

At some point later, I did attempt to install a Rexing" smart hardware kit", but I found it NOT be very smart.  Its main purpose was to allow the cameras to record activity around the car when someone bumps it, but in truth, that's probably a rarity and not worth the hassle trying to make the smart hardware kit work (which it didn't).  Lots of complaints about the hardware kit online.  The hardware kit requires connecting to two fuse locations, - one always hot, and one switched - but when connected, it messed up other features and never would engage the parting mode.

The site at dongar.tech looks interesting, but for me, may not be worth the effort to get around the 12V outlet connection.  Interesting idea though, if easily accomplished..

• Like 1