06 RX400H Backup camera too dark

Hello! 

I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is even in the right forum..

I found an old thread on this but it hasn't been updated in years..

So my backup camera is crazy dark,  especially at night, even with the brightness and contrast at all the different levels. I can't see the picture at night and I can barely see it in the day time. I think it may be the backup lights but I'm not sure? 

Can anyone give me suggestions on which camera I need to get to replace the one I have now or any ideas on how to modify the backup bulbs so behind the car is actually lit up enough for the camera to register? I saw something saying that the resolution on the screen is quite low so I'm not sure if a new camera would be the right option? 

I'm just totally lost here and quite dependent on my backup camera so any help is greatly appreciated! 

We have the same vehicle you do and there is no such problem with its backup image at night. I'll take some photos of the screen and the back of the vehicle, tonight after it gets dark.

• 4 months later...

I have a 2018 450H and have the same problem.  With daylight, the rearview camera is bright.  I then back into the relatively-dark garage and the the screen darkens so much i can barely see what's behind me.  Let me know if anyone has a solution so the screen stays bright.  Thanks

If you take a camera and compare images during the day and night, you'll see how different objects look when ambient light is limited. Basically, we have miniature cameras in the back of our vehicles. I believe the only way to improve the image is to have much brighter lights illuminating the objects.