Reasonable Price For Universal Joint?

I have decided to have the universal joint changed on my 90 LS400- in hopes that it will cure the vibrations problem once and for all. The u-joint at Advance auto parts is $110. Does anyone know of any place that specializes in Lexus parts and may have this cheaper? I have not even checked with the shop to see how much this is going to cost to replace, as I am afraid to. If it is anything else like the labor prices on these cars, due to either their name, or complexity- then I am sure it is not cheap. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any information.

First of all: there are NO U-joints on the LS--at least the '93.

You have 2 shafts with 2 flex rubber joints at the ends and a center support bearing with a flex coupling. Suppose you could put on a lift and wiggle all this stuff.

I would seriously doubt if these are out of balance. If there is a problem with them[it], it might be a worn center support.

You should match-mark everything if you remove. note the exhaust and crossmenber hast to come down.

Thanks for the replies - I did not know that. I was just going by the following reply someone gave on my topic - see below:

"I think you are all wrong.

Sounds like a universal joint going bad on the driveshaft. Let's look at the symptoms, vibration, clunking, whine. All symptoms of a failing universal joint. They are cheap too. You really need a lift to check it and even then sometimes you can't tell unless they a really bad."

At any rate- no I have not had time to change that fluid. The "whining" seems to have lessened, but the vibration is what is really what I want to get rid of. I did get that link you posted. Looks like something that I would have to get the shop to do. I am really hesitant about putting more and more money into this car and still not get rid of the vibration. My A/C is already broken and that is going to be a $400-$800 repair. By the time I pay to have all of the things fixed on this car- I would have spent enough to buy a nice, lower mile LS400. I think I may just keep driving it until it just hits the road, then will probably sell it to the salvage yard and consider it my $4000 mistake. :wacko:

It may be in my best interest to take it either to my regular shop or the Lexus dealer and let them drive it and let them give my their input. At least now, with the warm weather here, the vibration is minor/non-existant. I have still not ruled out the tires, but I hate to spend out $$$ for new tires, considering the previous owner just spent $400 on tires for this car less than 5000 miles ago.

Another thing I just remembered, is that I never had the alignment checked after I had the rear struts installed. Someone said that could be the cause for vibration. I guess I could have that checked one day this week. Another $50 down the drain.

Thanks again for the replies.

Yes -

You do need an alignment after those new rear struts!!!! $80 max.....

I agree with your logic on not putting $$$ into this vehicle - not worth it....

It's 14 years old, worth $3-4K???? Not money-wise to fix it up because something else on the list will break :unsure:

Yes - 

You do need an alignment after those new rear struts!!!!  $80 max.....

I agree with your logic on not putting $$$ into this vehicle - not worth it....

It's 14 years old,  worth $3-4K????  Not money-wise to fix it up because something else on the list  will break :unsure:

I can have the alignment done for about $50 at one of the local repair shops. 4-wheel alignment.

You are right- that is what I mean about putting $$ after $$ after $$ replacing this and that just to get rid of that vibration that I may not able to get rid of. Yes, I paid $4000 + tax for the car, but if I was to resell locally- I would probably not be able to get that for it. Probably around $3500 here locally. At least hot weather is here for the next several months and I will not have to worry about it. It still may be the tires, but again, I still hate to spend out $300-$500 for tires and still have the problem. I may just let it go this summer and if is gets worse when cool weather returns around November- I MAY have the tires replaced, if I have not traded it in on a new car/truck by then. I have been planning on giving it to my mother to replace her 98' Oldsmobile if it is still in good working order by then.

I guess my main problem is that I am wanting the car to be perfect, which is something I shouldn't expect from a 14 year old car, with nearly 230,000 miles. The vibration is not even that bad and probably 60% or more of the cars on the road probably are worse than my car. I guess it may be where it is so smooth otherwise, is why I notice it more. The engine-transmission, both operate as smooth as silk. Basically, I am very impressed with my car. Not to many cars other than the Lexus LS400 that can still be so smooth, with over 200K miles on the odometer- with the exception of my old 93' Camry LE V6, that had 212K and was also a very smooth, perfect running car, with ZERO squeaks or rattles. It did not even have the vibration that my Lexus is plagued with, but the engine or transmission was not quite as silky smooth.

Thanks again for the replies.

• 4 weeks later...
90LS,

Richard is correct ...........remember that pdf file I posted on the other thread?

Did you drain & refill with Gear Lube?

99LSguy - do you remember what post that pdf file was you posted in reference to my vibration problem, when I thought it was the u-joint?

I FINALLY called one of the the repair shops I normally take my cars to and like you said- he said it does not show a procedure for replacing the u-joint, but rather the entire driveshaft. However, when I go to advance auto parts website- it shows a replacement u-joint for $119. :unsure: He said for me to go ahead and bring it in on Monday and they would put it on the lift and check it. I will also go ahead and get them to change the differential oil as well- which my alone be the problem, but not sure, since it only does it at certain speeds (occurs at times somewhere between the 35-60mph range). If the oil change does not stop the vibration, or if they are not able to find out what is wrong- I will probably sell the car. The vibration is just getting too annoying. :wacko:

While I was at it, I called the other repair shop and told them that even after new tie-rod ends, alignment and new tires, my 92 Buick (work car) still is pulling badly to the right and still has a tire out of balance. I have to take it tomorrow let them check it again, Lexus to the other shop on Monday- then in to the Toyota dealer for an oil change on next Thursday. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I think I should sell them all and buy a brand new car. :D

Thanks 99. I remember the mechanic mentioning some of the things that are listed on there. Hopefully it is something simple, but from the looks of that exploded view, it looks like the exhaust system has to come down to do anything to the driveshaft. Just my luck- more $$$ repairs. Thanks again. I will post what I find out on Monday.

Thanks 99. I remember the mechanic mentioning some of the things that are listed on there. Hopefully it is something simple, but from the looks of that exploded view, it looks like the exhaust system has to come down to do anything to the driveshaft. Just my luck- more $$$ repairs. Thanks again. I will post what I find out on Monday.

Hope its a cheap fix!!!!

You know, you've mentioned a few times about the $$$$ to fix and the possibility of selling her off.............if that's the case, so be it. That's the right decision money-wise; just hard to do sentimentally (is that a word :unsure: )

• 2 weeks later...

I had forgot that I did not follow-up on this topic- I think I posted about it on another topic however. After they had the car for 2 days, I had to finally call them. The main mechanic said "not to sound ignorant we could not find anything wrong" and "if it gets wprse , bring it back and we will look again". :rolleyes: I cannot honestly believe that they could not feel the vibration if they actually did drive it. I think I have made my last trip to this shop. It seems as if it is something that they have to diagnose, they never can find the problem, or they just keep your car, without ever calling you and letting you know anything. :rolleyes::angry: If it is something like a brake service, or oil change- they quickly take the person needing that work that came in after you, so they can make a quick dollar. <_< He said he does not think it is anything in the driveshaft, as all of that felt tight. I drove the car today (in steady rains) and it seems to be even worse and if I am not imagining it, it seems to be worse on wet roads. <_< I called a couple of tire stores and they charge $7.50- $8.00 per tire, just to check the balancing. If that is not it- another $24.00 wasted. I do not know whether or not to have the tire balance checked first, or go ahead and replace the transmission mount, or take it to the local Lexus dealer and let them check it and probably charge $200 or more, to find out what it is.... I have seriously considered giving this car to my mother and let my dad pay out the money to have it properly repaired and I will buy another car (probably not Lexus). <_<