Added Mirror Turn Signals

feen78

Being a bit visually impaired, these mirror turn signals sounded like a good idea so I stopped by Autozone today and took a look at them.

What they are is two approximately six inch strips of bendable clear plastic lens which can be bent to conform to the curve of a mirror housing. They appeared to be about 1 inch wide about 1/4 inch thick and, after they are bent, stick to the mirror with double sided tape. The installation instructions show the wires being routed along the bottom of the mirror edge and through the mirror housing into the car interior. Each lens has about five or six LED's - I do not know if they produce an effective amount of light to be useful in the daytime.

The lights do not appear to be of particularly high quality and I would be surprised if they did not fall off on a hot day. The wire from the mirror into the car would probably look a little obvious. But if you squint hard, I guess they do "kind of" look like the mirror turn signals on a Mercedes.

After I almost flunked the DMV vision test in the early 90's and had a few close calls, I bought a set of OEM side turn signals from a UK Lexus dealer and had them installed on my 90 LS by a body shop. If you want or need side turn signals, I think that OEM is a better way to go than these cheap stick-on ones.

I found the effect of side mounted turn signals on other drivers to be quite interesting, particularly in bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic. Other than really being able to see that you need to change lanes, it becomes obvious to you when other drivers have seen your signal - they have a hard time pretending they have not.