tire pressure warning light

Bill Traer

If the pressure sensors are the originals, it's likely that one of their batteries has failed.  If that's the case, you might as well replace all the sensors.  The batteries usually aren't replaceable.  Replacing the sensors will require uploading the ID codes for the new sensors to the vehicle ECU through the diagnostic port.  Any tire shop can do that.  I bought an inexpensive ($125) electronic tool to do it since we have multiple vehicles with both summer and winter wheels/tires.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem as the OP with my 2008 RX350. I had all the tires pumped and sensors checked (including the spare) at a tire shop.

When I turn the ignition on, the TPMS warning light flashes, then shines solid, indicating there is a TPMS malfunction according to the manual. I've tried resetting the tire pressure via the button under the steering column too. Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

I was able to trigger my sensors with a tpms tool, and showed battery in sensor was good, but yet car wasn't seeing them anymore. I replaced with new OEM Denso sensors and relearned the new ID codes and all is well now. Guess even though the sensor battery showed ok, but maybe not enough to transmit a strong enough signal to the car's tpms receiver. Sensors were 8 years old.

The tire pressure sensors have individual ID's. when changing them, the new ID needs to be registered and system relearned into the car so it knows to look at this new sensor. I had discount tire replace mine and they relearned with their scan hi-level scan tool. What brand of sensor did you have yours replaced with?  OEM Denso, or aftermarket? Toyota/Lexus are very picky with aftermarket tpms sensors. Whoever changed your sensor should've done this procedure.

On 1/10/2022 at 2:57 PM, Natureboy said:

I have the same problem as the OP with my 2008 RX350. I had all the tires pumped and sensors checked (including the spare) at a tire shop.

When I turn the ignition on, the TPMS warning light flashes, then shines solid, indicating there is a TPMS malfunction according to the manual. I've tried resetting the tire pressure via the button under the steering column too. Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

Problem solved free of charge!

I went back to the tire shop and they plugged in their computer. Apparently the ECU got confused about which tire is where or something like that. They spent 2 minutes sorting that out and sent me on my way! No more TPMS warning light. All seems fine now.

• 9 months later...

Well, I'm back again with my 2008 RX350. Had my same winter tires put on again, with the same sensors and the problem is back. How on earth are you supposed to reset that TPMS warning light yourself? The sensors are fine, the system just needs a reset, but I can't find out how.