1999 Ls400 Radio Removal

:huh: I've got one of those nifty pioneer radios that displays just parts of the LCD. Anyone have removal instructions for the radio and any suggestions for a repair? I have seen the repairs on Ebay for $155-$175.

Thanks in advance,

Here is a pointer to radio/AC control removal instructions for a slightly earlier LS which is very close to a 99:

http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalLexusLS400str1.htm

It is quite easy to remove. My favorite pry tool for this job is a stiff thin blade putty knife well taped with electrical tape. This speads the force and protects the console wood when prying it up. The instructions don't mention it but you will have to move the gear selector towards the back of the car and also have the upper and lower console lid open. The small black cap covering the gear shift release pops right off and then you just poke a screw driver into the hole to allow you to pull the lever backward - or you could just shut off the engine while the car is in drive.

I recommend surrounding the radio/AC control unit with cardboard or a towel as you extract it so that the console upholstery does not get scarred. I do not remember anyone posting instructions on how to replace the radio LCD. The independent Lexus repair shop I use will not touch radio internals and recommends sending radios to a specialized repair facility or using an exchange service.