Sc 400 Transmission Fluid Change ?

92 sc400 299,000+ miles and counting ...

i've been doing as much diy stuff as my limited technical abilities allow. i change my own oil (coventional 5W-30) regularly and have even performed the puddle removal/cloudy headlamp fix on my sc.

i would really LOVE to change my transmission fluid myself and have read all over the site about different ATF's and decided to go with Toyota's Type T-IV ... my question is: Where is the drain for the ATF located? I know where the oil pan is but not the ATF pan, can someone please direct me to a diagram, picture, or provide a detailed description? also, how essential is a new crush washer?

this site is very informative and an excellent resource for every lexus owner, keep up the great work!

• 2 weeks later...

if its a copper gasket then you can re-use it. the good thing about copper is that you can heat it up and anneal it so that it becomes soft again. just put a propane torch to it and that should do the trick.

• 1 month later...

I don't know why everyone makes such a big deal out of the drain plug gasket. I've owned all kinds of Toyotas with automatic transmission from 1972's to my 1991 LS400 to my 1993 pickup and never have replaced the metal gasket and never had any fluid leakage problems. I am careful not to overtorque the drain plug and it doesn't need much torque. A drain and refill on your SC400 should take about 2.1 quart so you should buy 3 quarts of Type T-IV fluid from a Toyota dealer to be on the safe side.

• 3 years later...