Cigarette Lighter Socket Has No Power

TLMichelle

My 1994 SC300's cigarette lighter socket is dead and I really need to replace it so I can plug things into it. The problem is that I need to know how to do it and I can't find instructions for this car online. Maybe I'm just using the wrong search terms, but I don't know. Does anyone know how to do this?

Hi Michelle and welcome,

I'm sorry that I don't have a good base of knowledge for your year and model.  Also, you didn't mention if you had already had a technician look at it so I'll take a risk and give you some more information.

The problem could be as simple as a blown fuse. Based upon your information that would be my place to start. Secondly, I would talk with Sewelllexus.com in Dallas about the part you think you need and they should be able to give you some help about your problem and they also take returns. Last suggestion, if you want information on replacing the part assembly, You can find any and everything at TIS.com, "Toyota Information Service". This is the official location for every thing you would need to do the replacement. It is a pay as you go service with the first two days set at $15.00' The site covers Toyota, Scion, and Lexus. If you can't find it here then you'll need to go to a dealer or a mechanic that knows Lexus. Tihis TIS site covers vertualy eery thing from wiring diagrams, Exploded parts assembly, part numbers and diagnostics.

Regarding Sewell Lexus,..., for years they have given our members a discount on parts. while back I heard that they had discontinued their on line service, but I haven't had time to follow up on that.but I will as soon as possible.Please let us know if any of our feedback has been of any help.

I checked the fuse myself and then my dad pulled out every fuse in both fuse boxes to rule all of them out, so we can say with confidence that it isn't a blown fuse, unfortunately. I haven't had anyone else look at it besides my dad, who just has a general knowledge about cars from his own experience working on the cars he's owned. Thanks for the tip on TIS.com and Sewelllexus.com. Yesterday I was showing the car to my brother and noticed that the floor of the center console compartment was all busted up and there are bolts under it. I wonder if I can unscrew those to get the center console out? Also, there is a female LAN wire in there... do you know what that is for? Can I get trouble codes out of it? I have one of those nifty code scanners, but I think it only plugs into 1996+ cars, but this one is a 1994.

I don't think Lexus is going to tool up and make one that's different between the different model cars. It would be an extremely high cost for such a simple accessory.

So logic tells me they would be the same. If you take it apart report back and let us know for sure. As far as the construction of the panel that it fits in that maybe a different deal.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have verified there is power to the lighter and it still doesn't work, the fail safe on the lighter has been "tripped" so to speak. The attached picture is the bottom of a Lexus cig lighter. Notice the single coated wire that forms an arc crimped to the bottom. That is a small gauge aluminum wire fail safe. It's function is to melt and brake the circuit if it gets too hot. Three ways to fix this: 

1. Replace the little aluminum wire with something else conductive. 

or 

2. Remove the nut in the center, gently pull the copper pieces (2) out of the body of the lighter and remove the fiber washer that keeps them separated. You will notice that part of the top piece protrudes into the body. Use a small pair of pliers and slightly squeeze that part so the flared part can be pushed back into the lighter body. Reassemble and tighten the nut down. The two pieces are now making full contact and a complete circuit. Since you will only be drawing current to power 12v items and not heating up an element to light a smoke, the fail safe is not really needed.

or

3. Buy a new  lighter.

lexus lighter fail safe.jpeg

That's exactly what the problem was - that little wire was melted. I was going to remove the insulated washer between the two copper pieces to bypass that little wire, but right before I tested it, my mom texted and said I should have my dad look at it first. Today I brought it over and he soldered a car fuse to it connected by short pieces of wire. It doesn't look great, but we just stuffed it back into the dash and now the socket has power! :)

• Like 1