Ok so here goes my story, I go out to my car push the button on the key to unlock the doors. They unlock I get into the driver seat and get comfy. I go to stick the key in the ignition to fire her up turn the key and nothing. No engine trying to turn over no stereo nothing but a click from the starter relay. So far I have replaced the relay as initially the one in there wasnt even clicking. After replacing it I attempt to start it again. Still nothing except the new relay was clicking. Thinking it might be the ignition switch I replaced that as well. I attempt again to start it. Still just clicks from the relay. Took the starter to advance auto to be tested, its fine. Tested the battery and the alternator they are fine as well. Ive also tested the park/neutral safety switch. Ive found a million and one ways to supposedly reset the factory alarm to no avail. Theres power coming to the switch but not to anything else. Tested new ignition switch and it is working as it should. When I attempt to put the key in with driver door open the door chime works and the open door light comes on. When I turn the key only the air bag light comes on on the dash. Headlights, running lights and brake lights work. However the headlights have to be manually turned off as opening the driver door does not turn them off anymore. Turn signals and reverse lights do not work either.

sweetchik79,

Throwing parts at a car hoping to find a fix never goes well, and empties your pocketbook in a hurry. Sure, test the battery, the alternator, the starter, but buying a new relay when you haven't tested the old one, and the same with the ignition switch?

When as many systems go wrong all at once it points to something major, as opposed to a simple element, and it screams that the car needs to be in the hands of a good independent mechanic who can systematically check out the systems and narrow down the culprit.

Recently I know of three such strange goings on in vehicles , all similar to yours. One traced down to a bad Body Control Module, another to the engine computer, and on my personal diesel dually ... a mouse family that made a nest under the fuse box in the engine compartment and then chewed 14 wires so that none of the truck's electrical systems could talk to each other.

Most good mechanics will have seen a similar set of circumstances as yours, and will have a good idea of where to start. It'll cost you some money, but maybe not as much as all of the parts replacement you could do, and it'll be a lot less frustrating in the long run. Sorry for the long speech, but there are times when taking the car to the experts just makes the most sense. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Well all my weird issues have been resolved. As a last ditch effort decided to take out the efi and disconnect the battery. Allowed the car to sit like that for two days. Plugged the efi in and reconnected the battery this morning and when I put the key in she fired right up and ran like a dream. Hopefully others looking for advice on this similar issue take heed and start where I ended.