Strange Petrol Smell In Cabin 1995 Ls400

freemanhimself

Hi,

I just picked up an old 1995 LS400, I really like it, very smooth, drives nice, engine is ok although slight vibration when revving motor, might be mounts not sure. Seems fine anyway.

But there is a strange smell in the cabin. It kinda smells like fuel leaking, but also kinda smells like WD40 so I'm not sure what it is? It kinda comes and goes. If I have the AC venting from outside the smell is almost nonexistent, but if I put it on recirculate it becomes more apparent. When I opened the door after work today I could smell it, although my colleague who was looking at it even sat in the passenger side and said he couldn't smell it.

I drove 400kms from where I bought it and I didn't have any dizzyness or anything, and for the most part I couldn't even smell it. To be honest I'm not sure what it is! There is no fuel smell from the engine bay, and the petrol cap seems to work ok - I filled it up this arvo after using half a tank and when I undid the cap there was a definite vacuum so it must be working ok? I'm not sure if it's a leak or if maybe someone spilled fuel or some other chemical in it before they sold it. I bought it off a dodgy dealer haha.

It's not using excessive fuel, on a 444 kilometers it used 44 litres of fuel so it's almost perfect 10L/100Kms which is amazing for a V8.. my hilux V6 4.0 used about 13-14L/100kms...!!!

How bout smelling in the trunk. And do look for leaks and smells around the engine. Even go under the car and check it.

How full or not is the fuel tank when you smell it? Is the check engine light on or been on? Evap system could cause smells check it out too.

How bout smelling in the trunk. And do look for leaks and smells around the engine. Even go under the car and check it.

How full or not is the fuel tank when you smell it? Is the check engine light on or been on? Evap system could cause smells check it out too.

Well it smelled the very first time I got in it and the fuel tank was less than half. Check engine light not on. Can't smell it outside. Can kinda smell it in the boot I think.

I went and smelled it again, still strong in cabin after sitting for a while. Strong in trunk too. Is it possible someone spilled some fuel or something?

Might be the valve on the power steering pump which is controlled by vacuum, and allows totally disabled people the ability to turn the wheel when stopped, has developed a leak. When this happens you will notice a strong solvent smell. Not gasoline but rather like type wash or some kind of industrial cleaner. Eventually, the car will belch large amounts of white smoke on start up. You can replace it or just plug each end of the vacuum lines and good to go. Did this on my LS ten years ago and still good.

Just a possibility

Might be the valve on the power steering pump which is controlled by vacuum, and allows totally disabled people the ability to turn the wheel when stopped, has developed a leak. When this happens you will notice a strong solvent smell. Not gasoline but rather like type wash or some kind of industrial cleaner. Eventually, the car will belch large amounts of white smoke on start up. You can replace it or just plug each end of the vacuum lines and good to go. Did this on my LS ten years ago and still good.

Just a possibility

It did smoke the other day on startup but hasn't done it since. If it was this issue, would it still smell in the trunk/boot though?

I read an interesting article on Click'n'Clack recently where they mentioned that the emissions wand used to test exhaust gases could also be used to sniff out petrol leaks. You might try to locate a mechanic with one of these tools and sniff around. It should pin point it rather quickly.

The smell I got with the PS was a solvent or really old gasoline type smell. I never smelled it in the boot (watched Mike & Edd) but all over outside. Some of the smell did drift into the car. Of course start by looking under the car for obvious wet spots. If you see a lot of white smoke on cold start up, that could be the problem. It doesn't always do it but it becomes more frequent with time. See if your power steering fluid is low as a start. If not, move on to fuel. I would think a gasoline leak would smell like fresh gasoline.