Windows

static1646

I have a 1998 lexus es300. the driver's window is one touch automatic down only. the 2000-2001 models have one touch automatic up and down windows for the driver and passenger front seats. If i switched the window panel controls on the front driver and passenger side with the controls for a 2000-2001 es300 model, would the front driver and side passenger windows automatically be converted to a one touch automatic up and down controls?

I remember that this question was asked a LONG time ago and I think it was determined that more than just switches were involved in the auto up feature - it might have included an ECU and other parts. Auto-up includes a "pinch protection" safety feature although I've never had any desire to see if it really works. (Ouch!)

We had a 1998 Camry that worked the same as your 1998 ES300 - only the driver side window was auto-down and none of the windows were auto-up. I never noticed the difference much over 10+ years when I switched between driving the Camry and a 2000 LS400 that had an "All Auto" feature (all windows had auto up/down).

Maybe look at it this way ... your next vehicle will likely have auto up/down with pinch protection on all windows and auto open/close with pinch protection on the sunroof. Auto up/down seems most useful on very hot days when it allows lowering and raising all the windows at the same time.