Cruise Control

Jpmockler

I love my 2003 LS430 but I have just learned that the check engine light that came on refers to the fact that my catalytic converter needs to be replaced. I may delay this because the estimate is over $2600 and with a car with over 150,000 miles it may not be worth it. But my real problem is that when the check engine light came on my cruise control stopped working. Has anyone had this problem?

Welcome!

$2600!!!!! That is rediculous. Is that an estimate from Lexus? If so, I would take it to a local muffler shop and get a quote.

As far as the CC goes, I don't see why there would be any relation to the converter. Maybe try disconnecting your negative battery cable and see if that would reset it.

I can't see how the two are related other than something totally unusual. I seriously doubt the converters are bad. Yeah maybe from leaded gas or severe overheating but not under normal conditions.

JP. If take it to a Toyota dealership NOT associated with a Lexus dealership. Don't mention a thing about previous diagnostics. Might be surprised. Hopefully at least.

Thanks for your advice. I did disconnect the battery and lo and behold the check engine light went out and the system returned to normal. And the CC worked. However, this lasted for a day and then the check engine light went on again and I lost the CC.

I took the car to a muffler shop and got a much lower quote.

Next step - Toyota Dealer.