Remove The Oil Filter-no Drain The Pan?

youngdoog

I was listening to the Bobby Likis Car Clinic show on the radio this morning, and he said that, after filling the engine with synthetic oil for the first time, you should replace the filter-only- after 1,500 miles. Lotta crap there from the regular oil. While this sounds like a good idea, my simple question is-Do I have to drain the entire oil pan, save the oil, and then drain and remove the filter? Or can I just unscrew, drain and replace the filter? And refill with the oil missing from the old filter? Never done it this way before....

I put new full synthetic in my 94LS400 1K miles ago.

Thanks.

You can change the filter with out affecting the oil in the pan. Obviously you have to replace the oil that is within the filter and that that drips when the filter is removed maybe a half a quart. I do not know about you but I take off the plastic wind shroud when removing the filter. This way I can clean up after the filter change. :)

The only crap you will find is that spewed by some radio talk show host. Modern synthetics are completely compatible, and there is no need to change the filter because the conventional oil deposits are magically loosened up by the synthetic. If your engine was that dirty, no synthetic is going to help anyways.

Just change the oil and filter at regular intervals, and don't let someone try to convince you it is rocket science.

As mentioned, you can certainly change just the filter, but there is no need to do it.

You can change the filter with out affecting the oil in the pan.  Obviously you have to replace the oil that is within the filter and that that drips when the filter is removed maybe a half a quart.  I do not know about you but I take off the plastic wind shroud when removing the filter.  This way I can clean up after the filter change.  :)

This is correct. Just take off filter and you'll add back a half quart or so....

You do not need to take off the plastic shield. Just unscrew the two bolts on the cover that conceals the oil filter and then "bend back" the undercarriage. It is designed to do this....you'll see the "crease".

I think I have a photo...

post-4-1081738298.jpg

You've brought up another question, guys. I removed the underneath wind shroud, and never reinstalled it. Living in the desert, we don't have rain often, or mud or salt or ice or slush ever. The underside is pristine, with no corrosion anywhere that I can see. Is there a purpose for the shroud that I'm not aware of?

I left the shroud off mainly to see if there is leakage from the power steering pump. When I got the car, the only fluid low was the PS, so I figured a spot on the garage floor would clue me in to a more serious problem. I thought the shroud might confuse the issue.

Thanks for the input on the oil filter change. Think I'll leave it on until the next complete change.

Yeah,

I think the shroud is for wind noise & protection of the elements first, but it could keep a rock or something bad out of the engine compartment too!

I'd leave it off till the next oil change at least......you'll know how the PS rack is by then also :lol: