Where The Heck Is That Amplifier?

Hello folks,

I just purchased a 92 LS400 tape deck. The original owner had an aftermarket radio installed, and I wanted to restore it back to the stock setting.

Before I do the installation, I need to find out if the previous owner had the Pioneer amplifier removed. My 92 LS400, when out of the factory, is equipped with a Pioneer system, no CD changer. According to other posts I learned that the amplifier is located in the front passenger seat.....is this correct?

Today I moved the seat all the way forward and could not see or feel the amplifier underneath. Could it be located in the trunk? I just need to verify that the amplifier exists before I do the installation.

Also according to some other website they mention that 1992 LS400s does not have amplifiers at all :blink: ???!!!

You can say I'm very very very very confused right now.

hello flanker, the radio itself contains has the 4 channel door amplifers. the 1 channel subwoofer amplifier is in the trunk to the left of the gas tank behind the truunk liner carpet. just pull it back on the left and the amp should be there. . if it is missing i have one to give you free if you purchase my custom made cd changer cable you will need with your cd changer system conversion. email me at pioneersuby@woh.rr.com for details. i also have the advanced 1996 lexus changer to use with the upgrade instead of the first generation pioneer 6 disc.. it is small enough to fit under the passenger seat or possibly in the glovebox . since your running the cd changer cable you can install the changer anywhere you want.

Thanks for the reply!

If the subwoofer amplifier in the trunk is missing, can I still listen to the radio (AM, FM, cassette etc.), since the radio itself contains the 4 door amplifier?

yes the 4 door speakers should work even if sub amp not there or not working. the blue plug in the lower left corner when looking at the back of the radio is the subwoofer connector. i have a pile of those pioneersub amps so let me know if you need one free with the cd changer cable. i have helpred over 20 lexus ownersa convert their non cd button radios to the cd changer system with my custom mnade cables. they are profesionally constructed of shielded wiring . regular wiring would pick up electronic interfence .

Pioneersuby,

The radio deck I purchased is not a CD changer capable radio. I just wanted to get rid of this aftermarket radio currently installed. It simply looks ridiculous. Plus, to change the volume you need a remote control. If you lose the remote then the radio is useless.

I'm pretty busy recently and haven't checked the trunk for the amplifier yet. I don't need the CD changer cable. But if I did find my amplifier missing, can you sell me one of those Pioneer Amps? I'll be greatly appreciated. I'll post it later to let you know if the amp is in the trunk or not.

Thanks!