Which Can Should I Buy Next?

kerk

About to sell my 04TL and would like some advice on my next car. After some research I'm considering the 2010 versions of the Lexus ES350, Bmw 528, and a Bmw 3 series sedan. The only car out of the group that I can get CPO (with my 19k budget) might be a 2011-2012 3 series sedan. My main priorities is reliability, gas mileage, and resale value. Which car do you guys think I should get?

You want reliability? Lexus all the way.

I have a very wealthy sister. When her husband got rid of a BMW because he said the maintenance was too expensive, I knew that I never needed to own one. I have had my Lexus over a year. It has never skipped a beat.

kerk,

Do an online google search for the "Consumers Report best used cars to buy", and you won't find one BMW or Porsche, or Audi or Mercedes Benz listed. You will find almost every Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Mazda, Subaru and one Ford (the last generation Fusion) and one GM (Lacrosse?) (Can't recall about the Nissan's, Kia's, Hundyai's.)

Personally my wife has had 3 Lexus ES's and two Cressida's before that, and everyone of them has required no more than basic maintenance. I'm not saying that nothing ever goes wrong with a Toyota/Lexus vehicle, but problems are few and far between. If you treat them right and do what is required, they are pretty much bullet proof.

As for your BMW, do the same search for the 10 worst used cars to buy, ... the X5 places number one. Makes one wonder where their X3 would end up.

As for what I personally drive, Subaru Outback's. I've had 4 since 97, and have never had a major issue with any one of them.

Sorry to burst your bubble on the Bimmers and such, but you did ask. Good Luck with whatever you decide on! (Hint: Get the Lexus!)