Battery Light Problem, Help!

Mr Papa Giorgio

I recently took out my alternator to get it tested because I had a battery light on, I noticed the 3 wires from the harness were barely hanging on and soon after broke so I fixed that. but after getting the alternator tested and passed I put it back on. then I replaced the inline bolt-in fuse for the alternator. now I turned the car on and the battery light is still on. next step im going for is the battery cables(replacing). anyone else have these issues? thanks for your help. I really hate these electrical problems.

Why people remove the alternator from the car to get it tested is always a mystery to me. You can test the alternator while it is still in the car. In fact, that's often the best way to do it. These yo-yo's at the auto stores do not really know what they are doing so your alt. could still be bad but they say its 'good'. I wish I had a dollar for every time someone found out the alt was really bad although it tested good at the store.

You can do this yourself, Papa. Just get a voltmeter and measure the charging voltage at the battery with the engine running and a load(headlights on). Don't replace the cables just yet but do some more testing before you decide on the next step. Take your voltage reading and report back here.

Why people remove the alternator from the car to get it tested is always a mystery to me. You can test the alternator while it is still in the car. In fact, that's often the best way to do it. These yo-yo's at the auto stores do not really know what they are doing so your alt. could still be bad but they say its 'good'. I wish I had a dollar for every time someone found out the alt was really bad although it tested good at the store.

You can do this yourself, Papa. Just get a voltmeter and measure the charging voltage at the battery with the engine running and a load(headlights on). Don't replace the cables just yet but do some more testing before you decide on the next step. Take your voltage reading and report back here.

thanks buddy, I will do the test in the morning so please check back around noon mtn standard time. ill be getting these cables from a stock ls from a salvage yard as well...good to have extra parts laying around. but yup I did do an alternator test in the past but I forgot what the readings were but ill check again and get right back to you as soon as the sun rises here in phoenix. I really appreciate the help.

hey landar, I did the test and found it running at 12.2....terribly low for an alternator output voltage test. so I thru my extra alternator in and now the problem is solved. im glad to cuz the positive battery cable looked to be a complicated item to replace. now I have to do the power steering system, tight steering. I know theres a solution for this also(rack and pinion solenoid) and also my new radiator is leaking from the bottom hose, luckily I have extra parts laying around so I can do a quick swap. thanks again.