Media Options For 2003 Gx470

BzowK

Good Morning All -

As of recently, I am the new owner of a 2003 GX470 which I love! Prior to this, my favorite vehicle I've owned was a '98 Land Cruiser so even though 2003 is still older, it's still an upgrade for me. :)

Being very much into technology, it's unfortunate that the only media options which came with mine were FM/AM Radio, Cassette, and CD Changer - no MP3, Sattellite, iPod or Bluetooth. I'm trying to upgrade these items - and have done so successfully for most - but still haven't gotten to 100%.

The other thing I'm curious about is the Navigation options. I found out that my unit is a Gen3. I've read in various forums that I could upgrade to a Gen4 unit by literally unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in. If legit, I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle, though. I decided to post and see what suggestions you could give me, please...

Yesterday, I installed a MediaBridge (MBR-1500-TOY) as it should have resolved all issues. The MediaBridge is built to plug directly into your OEM radio and add support for Bluetooth (MP3 & Phone), USB, AUX, iPod/iPhone/iPad, and SiriusXM radio. Installation is easy as the hardest part is taking the paneling apart. Unfortunately since I do not have an OEM Satellite or MD option, I had to disconnect the CD Changer to hook it up. Once I tested it, everything worked - except SiriusXM - even though I had the extra required tuner hardware attached. After research, I found out that seemingly SiriusXM only works if my OEM radio already supported Satellite.

So - Here are my questions:

- What is the best solution that I may add to the MediaBridge which will provide Satellite radio? I'd prefer something in the dash and not an additional exterior component

- Is there an option / device you suggest which will replace my MediaBridge and provide Bluetooth, USB, iPod/iPhone, AUX, and Satellite? I've seen the ones that add iPod only, but some I've seen are the same price as the MediaBridge

- Anyone know of a Software Update or firmware to potentially add SAT mode to my existing OEM radio I know I don't have the hardware and it wouldn't work OEM - but - if I could emulate SAT mode and control the MediaBridge though it, then it should fix the issue

- Assuming I could potentially upgrade, is there a dramatic difference between Gen3 & Gen4 Navigation systems? I've tried to find details online, but can't.

I think that's about it. If you read all of my long post, then congrats and thank you. Any suggestions are appreciated -

Thanks so much guys!

Hi Ben,

I'm new to Lexus but have been a Toyota owner for many years. Just purchase an 04 GX so I understand your plight. Some of my online research has turned up a lot of users going for items from this company: http://www.oemautointegration.com/99-11/lexus

They seem to have most of the bases covered for Sat, USB, BT, iPhone, Android etc integration.

I've also considered looking through the auto recycle yards for a next gen nav unit but at the moment I'm looking into more basic things like whether to buy the service manuals on paper or on CD and where the best place to buy parts online.

Good luck and keep posting!

Ken

Good Morning All -

As of recently, I am the new owner of a 2003 GX470 which I love! Prior to this, my favorite vehicle I've owned was a '98 Land Cruiser so even though 2003 is still older, it's still an upgrade for me. :)

Being very much into technology, it's unfortunate that the only media options which came with mine were FM/AM Radio, Cassette, and CD Changer - no MP3, Sattellite, iPod or Bluetooth. I'm trying to upgrade these items - and have done so successfully for most - but still haven't gotten to 100%.

The other thing I'm curious about is the Navigation options. I found out that my unit is a Gen3. I've read in various forums that I could upgrade to a Gen4 unit by literally unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in. If legit, I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle, though. I decided to post and see what suggestions you could give me, please...

Yesterday, I installed a MediaBridge (MBR-1500-TOY) as it should have resolved all issues. The MediaBridge is built to plug directly into your OEM radio and add support for Bluetooth (MP3 & Phone), USB, AUX, iPod/iPhone/iPad, and SiriusXM radio. Installation is easy as the hardest part is taking the paneling apart. Unfortunately since I do not have an OEM Satellite or MD option, I had to disconnect the CD Changer to hook it up. Once I tested it, everything worked - except SiriusXM - even though I had the extra required tuner hardware attached. After research, I found out that seemingly SiriusXM only works if my OEM radio already supported Satellite.

So - Here are my questions:

- What is the best solution that I may add to the MediaBridge which will provide Satellite radio? I'd prefer something in the dash and not an additional exterior component

- Is there an option / device you suggest which will replace my MediaBridge and provide Bluetooth, USB, iPod/iPhone, AUX, and Satellite? I've seen the ones that add iPod only, but some I've seen are the same price as the MediaBridge

- Anyone know of a Software Update or firmware to potentially add SAT mode to my existing OEM radio I know I don't have the hardware and it wouldn't work OEM - but - if I could emulate SAT mode and control the MediaBridge though it, then it should fix the issue

- Assuming I could potentially upgrade, is there a dramatic difference between Gen3 & Gen4 Navigation systems? I've tried to find details online, but can't.

I think that's about it. If you read all of my long post, then congrats and thank you. Any suggestions are appreciated -

Thanks so much guys!

Ben, The difference between a Gen 3&4 is Gen 4 added XM Radio and the Computer is 10 times faster.