Dull Knock In Front End On Small Bumps Or Pavement Cracks

Hi,

I have 99 GS300 with approx. 145k miles on it. Has recent factory upper and lower ball joints and alignment. Sway bar links are tight (dealer says they've never sold a set). The only visual clue I can find is the rubber bushing at the back of the lower strut rod appears to be cracked when I jack the front end and look at the bushing. This is where it bolts into the body under the floor.

It steers fine and it seems to lose the noise when it get up to any highway speed.

Anyone replaced these rods? What where the symptoms prior to replacement?

BTW - these parts are over $360 each at the dealer here - they are $126 each at Lexus of South Atlanta + $28 to ship them to MI - unbelievable that Lexus puts it to their Canadian customers like that!

I have a GS400 & I had a similar problems. That part you are talking about is called a caster arm ( no. 2 control arm). I've replaced that & everything you mention above & it still clunked. I had to replace the struts, ( strut mounts clunk over bumps). Rack n pinion also went bad ( it clunked as well) & the noise went away.