Attention Lexus Broken Key Shell Dilemma

Maxeah

Hi Folks, i have had the dreaded broken key shell issue 5 times since I have owned vehicle. Being the owner of a Jewelry Manufacturing firm, and a industrial designer, I thought ther has got to be something better. So I made a metal 2 part shell, to accommodate the actual blade, without cutting a new one. I have been using mine for 6 months. Absolute permanent solution. I showed to my locksmith that kept cutting new keys for me at least once a year, and wanted some for his cars, and not his customers. We are experimenting with stainless steel, plated brass. Other common key shells that fail are honda, and Crysler.

They will be available, once we have decisions on metal and manufacturing methods.

If you have interest Send your info on this forum, so we can gauge this market.

Thanks for reading.

Alan

Really interesting, but why have your OEM keys continualy kept breaking? In my experience, I can't recall anyone else having this particular problem. Is it some form of consistant metal fatigue?

Paul

Oh shoot, I did not clarify well, the plastic shell which hold the transponder and the key blade, which is molded into the plastic, is the problem.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Alan

• 1 year later...

I have broken both of my key shells, plus a couple of replacement shells. I understand that this is a problem for a lot of people. Lexus must be aware ofthemagnitudeof the problem also, because they started offering a lifetime unlimited replacement option for broken key shells for one ( fairly high) fixed price. I don't have the exact price at the moment. My opinion is that this is such a poor design, that Lexus should replace broken shells for free, so I don't want to give them any more of my money for this issue. They should have designed the metal key extension so that it could be removed from a broken she'll and inserted into a new shell. They should also have made the shell casing stronger, which is exactly what you did. Your solution is brilliant. Did you ever produce them, or is there any way I can get one from you? I realize that as 2007 gets further into the past, the potential market for this solution will shrink.

Hi Folks, i have had the dreaded broken key shell issue 5 times since I have owned vehicle. Being the owner of a Jewelry Manufacturing firm, and a industrial designer, I thought ther has got to be something better. So I made a metal 2 part shell, to accommodate the actual blade, without cutting a new one. I have been using mine for 6 months. Absolute permanent solution. I showed to my locksmith that kept cutting new keys for me at least once a year, and wanted some for his cars, and not his customers. We are experimenting with stainless steel, plated brass. Other common key shells that fail are honda, and Crysler.

They will be available, once we have decisions on metal and manufacturing methods.

If you have interest Send your info on this forum, so we can gauge this market.

Thanks for reading.

Alan

• 2 months later...