Temp Gauge Suddenly Goes To Cold And Idle Goes Nuts!

breikes

While driving normally or even stopped at a light my temp gauge suddenly goes to cold and my Idle goes nuts or it stalls. When the temp gague zooms back up it goes back to normal. NO ERROR CODES! Help.

Bob

Thanks! I was kinda headed there next after I checked my ISC (normal) and antifreze (a touch low). I had forgotten that I'm not just dealing with a thermostat but the sensor as well. Since it's the dreaded "intermitent" problem I may just change out the sensor and see how it goes!

Thanks again, Bob

• If you have an ohm meter I would suggest also seeing if there is a short on that sensor or the harness. Check the wiring going to sensor for abraided insulation. Also the plug itself could be corroaded causing such behavior.

Getting a bit frustrated. My service manual, parts manual and even youtube doesn't show where the $$^#&^ the temp. sensor is!! Fairly sure I've found knock sensors, ambient air etc. but the engine temp sensor that MUST tell the gauge what to do seems to have eluded me!!

HELP............again, Bob

AHHHH.....HA!!!!! You are a scholar and a gentleman kind sir. A picture (in this case) is worth thousands of words, many hours of searching, a still strong back and an unbroken toe from kicking a two ton immoveable piece of iron.:-) I'll let you know which little bugger it is.

Bob