Missing Options

We just picked up a 2012 250 awd with NAV and the premium package. We really really really wanted the lux package but the premium package was way too good of a deal to pass up. We really just want HID/led DRL's and memory seats. Can we add these later on if we decide that we cant do without them? Is it as simple as buying the headlights and installing them? Do they use the same connectors? As far as the seat memory goes can be buy the door switch and have it programmed? Are the wires already in the door? Also is there a way to search in just the IS forum? We have also just stumbled on the Res+ app. Does anyone have any experience with this for remote starts?

No, you absolutely cannot easily add options like you want - except for remote start which is always a dealer installed/aftermarket option. Wiring harnesses are completely specific to a car - there are no extra connectors lurking about. If your car doesn't have memory seats then it doesn't have the ECU(s) to control them.

Consider selling your car and buying one with the features you want. It costs vastly more to add options than to purchase a car with the features you want.

Hmmm my 2000 silverado has the plugs there for the few missing options, most just plug in and work ie mirrors with compass and temp readout and the radio controls on the steering wheel, all of which were a simple plug in, no programing required. Some options require the a trip to the dealer to reflash the body management computer which is expensive but do-able. I wouldn't imagine in 2012 that they are manufacturing different computers for different options as opposed to flashing them according to the options list. As far as the remote start goes we do not want an aftermarket especially with the key/push button start and having to add another fob. The Res+ looks to be a smart phone app that contols most of the creature comforts in the car and is dealer installed OEM. From what I can tell it is not available on the IS yet. Not to sure about the other models, havent looked.

Hmmm my 2000 silverado has the plugs there for the few missing options, most just plug in and work ie mirrors with compass and temp readout and the radio controls on the steering wheel, all of which were a simple plug in, no programing required. Some options require the a trip to the dealer to reflash the body management computer which is expensive but do-able. I wouldn't imagine in 2012 that they are manufacturing different computers for different options as opposed to flashing them according to the options list. As far as the remote start goes we do not want an aftermarket especially with the key/push button start and having to add another fob. The Res+ looks to be a smart phone app that contols most of the creature comforts in the car and is dealer installed OEM. From what I can tell it is not available on the IS yet. Not to sure about the other models, havent looked.

Hi Jennifer and welcome to the LOC.

Unfortunately, Jim is right. There is not a simple "plug and play" way to add the features you want. For example, the remote start. You can order a Lexus with remote start from the factory. It's main draw back is it runs the engine for only 8-10 minutes.and has a very limited range for recieving the start signal. If you live in a climate where it gets down to near zero during winter, 10 minutes won't even begin to warm the cabin. If the Lexus does not come with OEM remote start you'll have to install an aftermarket. When I took delivery of my 2013 ES I had the dealer put an aftermarket RES on with a 20 minute run time. It's range is 1,000 ft.

My ES has the HID with LED DRL's. You can not just swap out the assembly on a like-for-like basis. Unfortunately, the same is true for the memory seats. I'm suprised to hear that your IS didn't come with them.

You say you just took delivery of you new IS. Have you gone back to your dealer and talked with them about doing a straight across trade for another Lexus that has what you want. There is nothing quite as disapointing as buyers remorse.

You've got nothing to lose and they maybe in the mood to move their 2012 inventory.

Paul

I'm sorry that I forgot to answer your question regarding a search specific for an IS. Go to the top of the page on the right hand side. You will see the white search string box. Simply enter your criteria, select the search engine you want and go. You can also click on "Advance" search and customize you search about as finite as it gets.

Let us now how things are going.

Paul

Yes and you will also find some extra connectors for missing options in some Chrysler/Fiat vehicles -- but not (OK, almost never) in vehicles manufactured by Toyota be they branded Toyota, Lexus or Scion. Toyota, unlike some lessor (and less profitable) companies, milks every yen of profit by including only the infrastructure required in each vehicle. OMG! We finally know why GM had to be bailed out by American taxpayers and why Fiat rescued Chrysler as it slid into oblivion - gasp ... it was due to the cost of putting in all those damned extra connectors in their vehicles! :whistles:

I recently installed a DRL kit in our 2012 Toyota Prius v wagon. DRL is mandatory in Canada, all EC countries, Australia, etc., etc., but there is not a signal DRL-related relay, cable, or fuse in our U.S. specification Prius. Same with the OEM turn signals I installed in our Prius's side mirrors - standard in most of the rest of the world - but not for the U.S. and Canada - but absolutely no infrastructure for them in our Prius ... I had to fabricate and route all the cables and electrical connections. I've run into this situation over and over on vehicles made by Toyota and other foreign manufacturers - it's just the way it is.