1999 Lexus Es300--Intermittent Radiator Fan Operation

My 1999 ES-300 has had an intermittent radiator fan stoppage for three years. Mechanics can't find the problem, because it's so intermittent. The symptoms are: temperature gauge starts to rise quickly, I stop, get out, open the hood and find the fan is not running. I tap on the relay box a couple of times and the fan starts. Then I am OK for anywhere from two weeks to six months.

The most expensive relay has been replaced, to no avail.

My question is this: Are the relays meant to start the fan only when it is required because of temperature? If so, is there a way to wire them so the fan runs all the time? Living in Arizona, I don't think the engine is going to get too cool.

Any other ideas or similar problems?

Thanks

Marty

• 2 months later...

I'm having the exact problem with my 1999 ES-300. If I tap on the fuse box or wiggle the relay, the fans start working for up to 2 weeks at a time. The dealer didn't have one in stock so I purchased one from O'Reilly Auto Parts. It lasted about 15 minutes before it completely died.

Marty,(or anyone),

Did you ever solve your problem?

• 11 months later...