96Ls400 Visual Help In Removing Sound/climate Control Systems

Bob helms

1996 LS400. I need to remove the Control Head for my Nakamichi sound / CD system. I have read post describing how to release spring loaded latches with a screwdriver inside the AC ducts on the center control cluster. As far as I can tell there are no spring loaded anythings inside my air flow registers. Mine also has an outside temp guage and a clock on the very top of the cluster. I did a search but could not find any visual aids of how to use a small screwdriver and "pry" the airflow registers out. If anyone knows of a post that has picture(s) of a 96 LS400 radio control head being removed or some service document with illustrations can you please point me in the right direction. TIA for any help given.

I know that the 98-00 LS has the clips on each side but do not know about the 95-97. The clips on my 2000 are difficult to see since they are black and flush when they are retracted and holding the vents in place. Maybe use a small flashlight to see if they are there. I sort of have to "dig" them inward with the tip of a small screw driver.

Here is a doc I prepared for the 98-00 LS - maybe it will help.

2000 LS400 - removing the radio head unit..pdf