How To Fix A Leaking Egr Lower Pipe, 1995

z_johnq

Hi,
I got a 95 LS400. The similar problem with lower EGR pipe. I heard some guys did it for 30 minutes. They must be extremely handy because I spent over 6 hours to take off the CAT. The bolts are like being welded to the nuts. I believe I have all the tools that I need: a few air chisels, wrenches, baby ratchets and air/eletric impact guns and more. The PB Blust doesn't work well, or no help at all. I have no choice but use a grinder with cutting wheels to cut the bolts. One of the 3 bolts of the CAT is hidden inside and the grinder cannot reach. I use one of the chisels of long shank to break the nut, so the stud is not broken but I need to tap the thread.

My problem now is, after the CAT off and the 2 nuts at the lower end, hard to reach the upper 2 bolts holding the pipe to the water bridge. They might get frozen too since using an impact wrench not helping. I know why some people have to drop the tranny. If tranny is gone, that shouldn't be a problem.

What about do it from under the hood? But removing the engine wire on the firewall should be a pain in the neck too.

Please help me out there. Btw, I replaced the starter a couple of years ago, which wasn't any fun at all; now the pipe. I'd never buy LS400 again: it's extremely hard to maintain. Really miss old American cars: you could sit inside the engine compartment doing whatever you wanted. Not any more because of the emission stuff.

Thanks in advance.