98 Gs 300 - Recent Accident - Need Advice, Thanks!

George58

Hi, I am a new member to this forum and am looking for advice on what do to with my 98 Gs300 with 205 k. Unfortunately, my daughter wrecked it over the weekend. Damage to the drivers side front is pretty bad but the engine and the rest of the car are fine and fortunately so is she. The air bags did not deploy. The body shop wants to much to fix it. The salvage yard is offering $400 for it but before I take the offer I thought I would ask for advice on other options. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Gary and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

From what you wrote I assume you don't have any collision insurance on the car. If in fact that is the case, you really do have only the two options you mentioned. I went through something not exactly like this last fall, but I had full insurance and the insurance company gave me an excellent settlement and I was able to buy another new Lexus.

If you want to keep the car and it's driveable, that is your cheapest route. It will look like hell and you'll never be able to sell it except for salvage. Are you capable enough your self to dismantle the car into its most valuable parts.? If so you might be able to make more money that way than sell "as is" to the salvage yard.

If you think the old girl still has a lot more miles left in her, then bite the bullet and have it repaired and go for another 50k.

MY choice, considering the damage and the miles, (you didn't mention any other engine proplems or drive train) I would be strongly inclined to looked for another latter model GS with lower miles that would take you into the future year with hopefully more problem free driving.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

"fortunately so is she"...glad to hear that

Honestly man everything Paul A. said is gospel. That age + miles compared to the amt of damage only going to lead to headache, long waits, and a hole in your pocket.

Scrap it or do some dukes of hazard stuff and become a YouTube sensation

Either way you go I say you treat yourself to a new Lexus! Just tell the wife it's for your daughter.