Removal Of Factory Roof Rails

I recently purchased a used 2010 RX Black with Navigation and 20k miles. I traded my 2009 ES which I enjoyed but the miles were getting up there. I have found it is better to trade out of these vehicles under 70k miles while tha values are still strong. I enjoy the more comfortable RX but have always liked the look of these vehicles with out the roof rails. It was a simple procedure and I am looking to see if this will eliminate some roof noise and maybe pickup the mpg. Will probaly put the rails for sale on the forum.

Stay tuned

I have had RX models since 2005 and have rarely used the roof rails. A few times they did come in handy like when transporting a large Christmas tree home. However, five months ago I had an unexpected emergency and had to move a family member and all associated belongings (no furniture) to a new location about 250 miles away, with only a few hours notice. The roof rails proved their great worth and, in my opinion, I would never consider removing them. I purchased a roof top carrier for about $75 from a local auto supply store and was able to significantly increase the amount of "cargo" I was able to carry. Without it I would have had to have left a considerable amount behind that would have been forever lost unless I made a second 500 mile round trip. Obviously, I could not have begun to secure the roof top carrier without the roof rails.

I suggest there is a time and place to put appearance before function but removing the roof rails is not one of them. I would also suggest there is no way you will see any change in fuel economy or noise considering the very small forward cross section of the rails and their streamlined shape. We all buy cars with appearance strongly in mind but isnt the highest priority its ability to perform a useful function? After all, an SUV is still just a prissy truck. My wife and most women maddeningly always seem to reverse these priorities and consider appearance before they consider function but I would never have expected that to be the case from a man.

Lexus has done its best to get the most fuel efficiency out of its RX models , hence the 400 and 450H. Fuel Mileage is the key component and the engineers decided that there was a drag factor on the 450H that could be reduced. The elimination of the roof rack. I drive 120 miles per day for work and within the past week using the mpg numbers on the dash and driving the same road daily I have noticed and increase of 1 to 1.5 mpg using a 73-75mph cruise. The cabin is comfortable and I can not say there is a noticeable change regarding wind noise .

I would never have used the roof rack nor would I take a chance and put anything on the roof of my vehicle. Any mistake or scratch in the finish is a very expensive proposition at the Lexus Dealer, much cheaper to rent a pickup if I have to move anything at $39 a day,

I'm also considering removal of the roof rack rails on my wife's 2010 RX350, acquired Jan '13. We never used the roof rack on the 2000 RX300 she put 200K plus miles on, and my acquisition of a pickup truck makes it improbable a roof rack will be needed. I found the Lexus Roof Rack Removal Kit online for under $100:

• 4 Inner Rack Roof Retainers
  • 2 Left Side Roof Moldings
  • 2 Right Side Roof Moldings
  • 8 Mounting bolts

Once my wife agrees, I'll make the change and put the rails up for sale.

You can purchase this roof removal kit for a discounted price of 67 if you join the Club Lexus. Once you are a member you can sign in and go to their vendors page and Sewell Lexus part website will come up. Type in your login name and get a heck of a discount. I just did it 2 days ago and the parts are here. I would love to know if anybody has a discount code to get a break on the Satellite radio.

Good luck

• 3 months later...

Hi is anyone who removed the roof rails on a 2010 RX looking to sell them? I recently bought a used Lexus and need to install a roofrack on it. Please let me know if you are looking to sell. Thank you

• 1 month later...

I'm also considering removal of the roof rack rails on my wife's 2010 RX350, acquired Jan '13. We never used the roof rack on the 2000 RX300 she put 200K plus miles on, and my acquisition of a pickup truck makes it improbable a roof rack will be needed. I found the Lexus Roof Rack Removal Kit online for under $100:

• 4 Inner Rack Roof Retainers
  • 2 Left Side Roof Moldings
  • 2 Right Side Roof Moldings
  • 8 Mounting bolts

Once my wife agrees, I'll make the change and put the rails up for sale.

We have just ordered a 2014 RX350 for my wife and it is due to arrive in a couple of weeks. We tried to order without the roof rack as neither of us like the look, and we will never use it as I have a full size pick up. Unfortunately we were unable to order it withoutthe rack.

I'm curious as to how difficult it is to use the rack removal kit - I don't want to scratch the wifes new baby!

Please keep us posted as to how the removal went..........or has anyone else done this removal and care to comment?

You can buy the roof rack removal kit and download/view the instructions at http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/viewall/RX350-2014/4608.html

Be sure to register with your forum member name to get a discount - currently $US68.92. I'm pretty sure Sewell ships to Canada and to other countries but you might be able to get it for a similar price or less in BC. I've bought a lot of stuff from Metro Toyota/Lexus in Victoria but not lately - excellent service from their parts department.

The RX roof rack looks like it could be handy. Toyota/Lexus dealers in many countries sell a number of accessories for them including aerodynamic ski and cargo boxes.

Thanks for the tip Jim - I'll check that out. My closest dealer is over an hour away , and they are brand new to the area (well, eight months or so.)

You can buy the roof rack removal kit and download/view the instructions at http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/viewall/RX350-2014/4608.html

Be sure to register with your forum member name to get a discount - currently $US68.92. I'm pretty sure Sewell ships to Canada and to other countries but you might be able to get it for a similar price or less in BC. I've bought a lot of stuff from Metro Toyota/Lexus in Victoria but not lately - excellent service from their parts department.

The RX roof rack looks like it could be handy. Toyota/Lexus dealers in many countries sell a number of accessories for them including aerodynamic ski and cargo boxes.