Steering Wheel Noise

kikassboy

Im guessing its cold around where you are....

I have a 99 and it just started to happen this year.

Its been really cold here in Boston and it only happens when the temp is below 40.

When I turn my steering wheel it sounds like a whine.

It goes away after the car warms up.

I brought it into the dealer and they said its 'normal' and probably due to the cold temp (since it doenst happen after sufficient warming of the car). <_<

other people ive talked to said their dealer looked into itm greased the joints but still the problem persists in "cold weather." I guess the key is cold weather ;)

Unless I go and complain a whole bunch this is the service im gonna get with these small problems. Oh well, not worth the time and effort right now since the nearest dealer is at least 45min - 1 hour away.

• 4 weeks later...

common problem on rx`s

there is a boot at the firewall where the steering shaft goes through.

the noise is from the shaft rubbing on the rubber boot.

apply a lubricant to the shaft,a light grease.flex the boot up and down to ensure the grease gets in.

• 11 years later...

Anyone having problems with the Rx350 2010 steering column? We heard a noise with steering. Brought it to Lexus who told us will cost $2400 to replace steering column and it s not covered. We can't get a straight answer- is it unsafe to drive or is this expensive repair just to quiet the noise? I am very disappointed in Lexus customer services responses. Can't get an answer to the most fundamental question - is it safe?