Failure Of Navigation Unit And What It Can Affect

Prochambers

Greetings,

I was reading somewhere that the failure of the Navigation unit will take out the GPS, the climate control/defrost, rear view camera, stereo including radio/CD changer. So it seems like this one gadget failing can be an expensive fix upwards of in the thousands $$$$$$.

How true is this? And if so, would it make sense to purchase a 2005 / 2006 without the Navigation unit thus saving a few thousand dollars. Thanks.

Yes, failure of the nav can remove all the features you mentioned.

Unfortunately, the "few thousand dollars" you will save in buying an 05/06 LS400 without navigation may also be due to the car not having other optional features normally installed on cars with navigation. LS430's without navigation are usually fairly "barebone" cars.

Here is a link to the option packages for the 05 LS430 (I think the 06 was the same): http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/2005/2005LSspecs.pdf

If I was looking for an 05-06 LS430, I would consider only ones with PCS. 2005 was the first year PCS was available on the LS430.

Thanks for the reply. Here's one example of a 2006 without the Navigation and it appears to still have the majority of luxury options included. Please review and let me know if there's something i'm missing. I currently own a 1987 Mercedes 420 SEL, 280,270 miles an running strong. Also, have a 2003 Acura RL, 110,000 miles running great! I'm learning each day about the Lexus options and need all the guidance that is offered. Thanks.

http://www.autotrade...gIndex=24&Log=0

What you found is a typical low specification LS430 with the $1390 (retail) Premium package, the $220 (retail) 18" wheel option and the most common ivory leather interior. LS430's without the Premium Package seem to be quite rare. The value of the 18" wheel package is questionable at best due to it mainly getting you a bit harsher ride and substantially more expensive to replace 245/45-18 tires.

As LS430's go, this one is an "entry level" car but is still very well equipped compared to most other cars of it's era. It is certainly a car to consider.

Alright I see what you mean. I really would prefer standard 17" wheels anyway. So maybe I will definitely re-consider getting a LS with the premium package installed. I already have a mechanic who works on all my cars especially when it's the more technical stuff and knows them like the back of his hands. And again thanks for your time and input as I have learned much from your few posts.

I'm also looking thru this:

https://secure.drive...s-manual-search#

So maybe I will definitely re-consider getting a LS with the premium package installed.

There is nothing wrong with getting the Package Package - could be difficult to find one without it. I wouldn't reject 18" wheels outright. You could always put 17" inch wheels on later. The only LS430's I would probably not consider are those with the Ultra Luxury Package. The "UL" has air suspension which can be quite troublesome as they age. But I might not reject a "UL" either if I found a very nice low mileage one.

The LS430 navigation system is holding up well and updates are still available for all model years. I wouldn't reject an LS430 that has navigation - particularly since the 05/06 LS430 I think is the most preferable variation always has navigation .... the Custom Luxury package with PCS (Pre-Collision System).

I usually prefer going with the manufacturer's original setup when it comes to wheels as they have taken everything into account towards the performance of the car during their research and development. Definitely don't want the air suspension!

• 4 months later...

LS430 maybe the best car Toyota ever made . Great ride , features, quality . I do have an issue with the nav, radio , screen . It always seems to stop working . I get an error warning that the local system is not visible . I bring it to Lexus and they reset it . Works for a few days and then goes out again . Any ideas Dark Helmet