Long Term Storage Techniques?

afmyhre

My son has recently joined the USAF and is wondering what we need to do to his 1992 SC400 for a 2 year storage undertaking. It is in a semi-heated garage and well protected. Any advice on how to best protect his 98,000 mile beauty would be very much appreciated.

hi

Few things i can think of it to jack the car up and remove the wheels, stack them on their side.

Unplug the battery

Start it every now and then for him if possible (replug in the battery)

Also, you should consider changing most motor oils-- engine, transmission (optional because the gears may start slipping after the two years), steering, differential (optional as well), brake and coolant. I would also, manually turn-off all electronics--climate control system (off-button) and radio. Disconnect the battery or keep it charged during the two years. I would also not use the parking brake and if you can lift the wiper blades up.

I would also, top off the fuel tank and add Stabil, and finally, wash and wax the car so that you can put on a brand-new 1-2 layer car cover (since it's inside).

I would recommend checking up on the car every six to eight months if there are any leaks or critters have gotten in.

hope this helps.

• 7 months later...

I just sold a Camaro that sometimes would sit in the garage for a whole year at a time. This is what I would do and it worked fine for me.

I would crank it at least every other week and let it run long enough for the thermostat to open and the water circulate through the whole system. Back the car up or drive it forward far enough so it isn't sitting on the same spot of the tire. Turn on the a/c and let the freon and oil circulate through the system to keep all the hoses and seals lubricated.

This works fine and I only had to replace the battery one time. The guy that bought it from me is driving it on a regular basis now (not daily) and he is having no troubles at all.

I don't think any car should just sit. Keep it's juices flowing.

I always used Lucas Fuel Treatment in mine.