Rear Suspension - Air Leak In Bladder

Mike Floutier

My off-side rear looked low this morning and I noticed it bumping a bit. I got it home and raised it manually using the air-suspension system.

At first I thought it was ok and was just a bit low but then I heard the air escaping from the air-sus bladder and realised that I needed to get it fixed.

The car has done nearly 350,000 miles so I don't want to pay for a new leg with the bladder etc. I would rather put in a stronger (ie. non-air sus) spring which would obviously be cheaper.

Anyone any experience of this or any ideas.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike

Welcome to the club

It's been done on earlier models but never heard of it on the LS430, I would imagine it's not just a case of replacing with conventional suspension but it is all computer controlled with sensors everywhere including the auto headlight aim system so you would probably have warning lights flashing up everywhere.

http://www.lextreme.com/ascon.html

Hey Guys, sorry for the delay, I've been busy getting my new LS430 as I need one for my work. Got that sorted now so I'm back to fixing the old one for selling.

Ok, I've sourced a replacement leg and made sure all the nuts and bolts will come undone BUT the only thing I need help with is HOW to disconnect the air-line on the suspension air-bag. The instructions talk about an SST but obviously I don't have one of those. Any ideas about how to remove it?

I'm probably going to replace the leg with a non-airsus type so I can always just snip it off BUT in case the new owner wants to put an air bag strut back in I'd like to keep things intact if I can.

PS Haven't fallen out with UK Steve, I just love some of the names of these US guys - eg CuriousB and Eatingupblacktop. Also my son is a US army Ranger and my daughter lives in S California so it just feels right to alternate.