Question To Those Who Tow With Their Rx

rtp4974

I had a 330 with the tow package and from time to time towed a UHaul with it. The first time I towed the back up camera died. Lucky it was covered under warranty and I really don't know if the timing was a coincidence or not but ever since then I always disconnected the camera when towing just in case. After all, with the trailer there is nothing to see anyway.

So now I have a 12 RX with the tow package and I'm wondering if I should be disconnecting the camera again. It's under warranty so if it happens again it's covered but I would rather not need the repair.

Has anyone had their camera die after towing?

Anybody towing more than 3500 lbs /

I haven't, I only pull an occasional small Uhaul. I have done a couple of long distance tows of probably around 2000 lbs and was very happy with how it handled it. Of course I have to give much of the credit to my exceptional packing and weight distribution skills.

The dealer just said the camera failed and they replaced it. I was the one who thought there might be a connection with the towing electrical because it happened the first time I towed.

Since it doesn’t seem to be a known issue in the Lexus community, it was most likely just a coincidence. The 330 is still in the family but not likely to ever tow again but just in case, I would still unplug the camera. It’s too costly a repair that is so easily prevented.