Using A Lexus Hybrid Only On Weekends

We just bought a new Lexus SUV 450 Hybrid. We have not received it yet but are very excited. I am reading some of the topics and am concerned about one thing. I walk to work and will therefore only be using my car on weekends. (My husband doesn't drive). Our car is in a garage under our building although it is not entirely closed off but is protected from the elements. Will I have trouble starting my hybrid on the weekends after not using it during the week? The dealer didn't say anything about this but I am reading about difficulty starting it if not used for a few days!

You may want to purchase a battery buddie or a battery maintainer.

The problem is over time the battery will deteriorate.

They make a maintainer that attaches a pigtail to the battery , the charging unit stays in the garage,

With a 450h the battery is in the left rear, you could make a really trick install with the pigtail exiting the under body for plug in. All doors must be closed, the key out of the ignition that way all the ECM s go to sleep.

Hope this helps. Very nice cars.

That is a very unusual "usage pattern" to say the least. Jim is right; the best solution would be a battery maintainer, however, not knowing the layout of your garage, it's hard to say if that is a practical option.

Another one would be to just be sure to take it out and drive it Wed. or Thurs. whether you need to or not. Of course, that means you'd be burning gas unnecessarily.

For what it's worth, I have an '08 RX400h and while on vacation, let it sit outside for >2 weeks at a time and never had a problem with the battery running down until after about 3.5 years when the battery finally gave out. Word is the OEM battery is not the greatest. Lexus replaced it under warranty no questions asked.

For piece of mind, I'd get one of those small "jumper batteries" and keep it in the trunk. I always bring it when leaving a vehicle at the airport "just in case." The only hassle is, at least the '08, getting to the battery terminals is somewhat annoying. You have to remove the battery cover which is held in place by "push pins." If you're really concerned about this, when you take delivery, have someone show you how they work. It's easy to release them; getting them back is the tricky part. You can always just put the cover in the vehicle and drive it with the cover off.

Here's hoping this will never be an issue for you!

Wait a minute. Karen stated that she will driver her RX every weekend. As long as she drives it for long enough distances, I'd say her RX will be just fine. A battery "tender" is typically not necessary unless a vehicle sits for many weeks at a time without being driven.

However, it would not be healthy for the battery or oil if the weekend trip is but a few miles to church or the grocery store, for example. My guess is that after sitting one week, a good 15+ mile drive one way will recharge the battery sufficiently and get any moisture out of the oil.

The dealer didn't say anything about this but I am reading about difficulty starting it if not used for a few days!

You need to consider the full situation of those making such statements. If properly cared for it won't have problems starting after a few days. There's something more to those situations that you're referencing. As always: always consider the source.

Thank you all, our garage is under our building and there is no power outlet nearby our parking space that I could use. However, I do use it once midweek, usually Thursday. If that amount of mid-week usage would work, I am relieved. I must admit that I am very surprised to hear that there would even be a concern if car not driven every few days. (So going to the garage and just running it for 10-15 minutes would not work?) I will discuss with the dealer when my Lexus arrives this coming week. I am hopeful that a mid-week use should keep battery working but will enquire about the best solution for my situation.

Again, thank you all for your replies and most helpful suggestions.

Karen

I really don't think you will need to just run the car (without driving it), mid-week if you will definitely drive it, each weekend. You and your RX will be fine!

• 2 weeks later...

We just bought a new Lexus SUV 450 Hybrid. We have not received it yet but are very excited. I am reading some of the topics and am concerned about one thing. I walk to work and will therefore only be using my car on weekends. (My husband doesn't drive). Our car is in a garage under our building although it is not entirely closed off but is protected from the elements. Will I have trouble starting my hybrid on the weekends after not using it during the week? The dealer didn't say anything about this but I am reading about difficulty starting it if not used for a few days!

If you drive it once a week, it will be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

My 2010 RX450h has 45k on it now so obviously I don't leave it parked often. But I have for up to 3 weeks when out of town. Was not a problem. If you've never been in the http://www.clublexus.com/ forums, drop in for a look around, there is a lot more activity and information re: RX hybrids. Not saying anything bad about this forum, it just doesn't have the population C/L does. But along with what others have said, as long as you drive a reasonable distance (when you do drive it) you should be just fine.