Satellite Radio On A 2008 Es350

1dave

I have a 2008 ES350, with an AM/SAT button on my dashboard as part of the radio controls. It does not function for satellite radio. The dealer says that just because the control button is there does not mean that the car is satellite ready with a subscription to a service. He has to take the entire dashboard apart to see if the proper module is installed. Additionally they say that if the module is not installed, it is not availale from Toyota anyway, and there is no aftermarket module available either that can be plugged in.

How can i find out whether or not i have satellite radio without having to disasseble the interior of my car?

Are there any modules available from anyone? Who can install whatever i need?

Hi "1Dave" and welcome to the LOC! Hope you find the other members on the site to be great people.

Far be it from me to doubt the word of a very well trained group of Lexus technicians, but in this case, IMO, their wrong.

Prior to the intrroduction of the ES350, your dealer is correct. The ES330 could have the AM/SAT button, but even with a subsrition to "XM/Cirius" you still could not get satelit radio unless the car came with the special Sat radio module for picking up Sat signals. (by the way, Lexus is set up to work with the XM monopoly. (please forgive my bias) If you did not order you car that way or Lexus didn't add it at the factory you could have the dealer retrofit it.

Let's stop here just for kicks..... If Lexus didn't want you to be able to relativly easly upgrade to the Sat feature, why would they go to the trouble of printing a button that say's "AM/SAT? I think this is one of those siuations where the dealer simply doesn't want to do the job and is blowing you off.

When the ES350 was introduced, 2007 and later,(read that 2008), all ES350's had Sat radio capabilities. Unless I'm suffering from early dimentia, Call XM radio while sitting in your car and the radio on. As you talk with XM, they will ask for various information to set up an account. Then they will ask you to tune you radio,( Sat button pushed) to the XM activation channel. It is usually the very last number at the end of the tuner, or the very first. They will then send a signal to your radio wich will activate the Sat signal and programing. They will also try to upsell you a bucket full of additional programing and features.

I want to bet that this contact, signing up for service and activation is all that's wrong with your Sat radio. If i'm wrong, someone else at about warp 9 will come on here and tell us so.

Please post back and let me and all of us know how wrong I was or If I should sign up for MENSA. LOL- LOL

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that Lexus did/does install all radios with the AM/Sat key on dash, but not necessarily Sat ready. (cost considerations as they only need to maintain one stock of buttons) XM says radio not registered as sat ready by VIN; when i follow their instructions for radio ID nothing comes up (No Sat menues) at all, only AM radio.

The module and whatever else it needs seems just not to be there.

Does anyone know where this could be sourced? What it is? What has to be done to install it? Any Audio store that may have sopme expertise in this area. Toyota is not helpful at all, to the point that i will consider not buying from them again, just because of the attitude.

I would really appreciate some guidance here if anyone can help.

Thanks,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Well, neither Lexus or my local dealer was any help at all. My service centre found an aftermarket kit that will do the job. It fits right into the dash and connects to the raio to use the indash controls, so as it would have worked had Toyota installed it in the factory.

I have learned a disappointing lesson in this about Lexus. They are a bit too exlusive for my tastes, and frankly,not that much better in the build department to warrant it.

Sadly, older, and wiser.

Dave